VCarve. Can it convert jpg to a file I can engrave?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
huntleybill
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built

VCarve. Can it convert jpg to a file I can engrave?

Post by huntleybill »

I am thinking of purchasing VCarve Desktop. One of the main things I want to do is engrave jpg images of MY dogs into wood or acrylic. I have attached a picture of a night light the wife has with an engraving of a dog on it. This is the end result of what I want to do.

The second picture is an example of a jpg I want to convert in order to engrave onto wood/acrylic, etc.
If VCarve can do this, are there tutorials/instructions on EXACTLY how to accomplish this? (remember, I am a Vcarve moron...so far)
If additional software is needed (Inkscape/Gimp/Photoshop etc) What software and are there step by step instruction?

Thank you for your advice.
Bill

thumbnail.jpg
bennyfor cnc.png

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: VCarve. Can it convert jpg to a file I can engrave?

Post by mtylerfl »

No. VCarve doesn’t have the features to do that. You need either Aspire (EVERYTHING you need for this and so much more!) or PhotoVCarve (will do what you want, but not much else - it’s “specialized” for photo engraving).
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

huntleybill

Post by huntleybill »

Thank you Mike. I tried photo V Carve and I didn't get good results. All I could get it to do was cut a series of horizontal lines that resulted in not being able to recognize what was engraved. I have attached a photo as an example of the outcome I got using that software.
Maybe I was doing it wrong but I couldn't find anything to walk me through what I wanted to do.

Aspire is just way too expensive for a hobbyist like myself.

thumbnail (1).jpg

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Just a couple of thoughts

1) PhotoVcarve can likely do it, but it takes some learning and skills to get what you want. There are some folk here that know how - not me, but I believe it is doable. It is not just a point and shoot kinda thing. There is a PhotoVcarve forum section dedicated to just that sort of stuff. If you post there what you are trying to do, then you may get some very good assistance.

2) Laser engraving can most likely do it as well.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Bill,

PhotoVCarve should easily be able to create your nightlights for you. The software allows you to create two types (or styles) of end-result:

1) A Lithophane (carved on a translucent material such as 0.25"-thick white Corian, which would make a fine nightlight!)

2) A "line art" engraving for wood or cast acrylic (From your photo, it looks like this was the type you attempted. It appears the cut depth was too much and/or the lines were spaced too closely, thereby obliterating your photo)

Here is a page link to some video tutorials that will be helpful for you:

http://support.vectric.com/training-mat ... hotovcarve

Watch the tutorial entitled "PhotoVCarve - Creating a Lithophane" for the Type 1 style

Download, then watch the tutorial entitled "PhotoVCarve - Carving a Decorative Picture" for the Type 2 style (the style I think you attempted)

Was the plastic you used "cast acrylic"? Extruded acrylic (typically sold at the big box stores) can melt and gum up much more easily than cast acrylic (available from online suppliers or a local glass company) when machined with CNC carving bits.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

huntleybill

Post by huntleybill »

Thanks Mike
I will look at the videos. The acrylic I am using is the poured kind I got from the big box store. I know that cast is better but until I can get results at least close to what I need, I will stick with the cheaper stuff.

huntleybill

Post by huntleybill »

Also...that link you posted does not work.

huntleybill

Post by huntleybill »

I looked at the videos and I don't think that is what I want to do. Those videos show cutting V grooves into the material horizontally and vertically.
I don't see how photoVcarve can engrave to get similar results as the picture below. Am I missing something?
thumbnail.jpg

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

I think your example is done with a laser. You are not going to get results like that with a cutting tool.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Bill,

I think you could get a reasonable result, but I would recommend the Lithophane method with the carving done in Corian. That style will yield the best photo-realistic result when the nightlight is on. (Be aware a Lithophane does not look good without the light on.)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

huntleybill

Post by huntleybill »

Ok...but would photovvarve or vcarve desktop be the choice of software to do this?

Also this link shows engraving on acrylic that looks pretty good. http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/case- ... panel.html
I want to do this same thing but with a picture.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Only Aspire and PhotoVCarve will allow you to create photo-realistic Lithophanes (such as the photos of your dogs).

PhotoVCarve will allow you to create “line engravings” of photos, as well. 2D vector artwork like shown in the link you posted can be done with VCarve and Aspire.

There are examples (and tips) on the Forum from people using diamond drag bits for 2D vector artwork using Aspire and VCarve.

You can also simulate “line engraving” function (similar to PhotoVCarve) in Aspire by using Toolpath settings observable in the free Vectric project called the “Big Buck Bank” I created a few years ago.
Attachments
Finished_Big_Buck_Bank_3.png
Finished_Big_Buck_Bank_4.png
Last edited by mtylerfl on Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

I want to do this same thing but with a picture.
The problem, is that a picture is not the same thing as a vector engraving.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Exactly right.

I have seen good examples of "photo line engraving" on tight-grained wood, though. Maple, mostly, as I recall. The key is to carve the lines very, very shallow, then follow-up with sealing the wood, then apply a contrasting stain and wipe it all off. The stain "catches" in the lines and yields a pretty good result.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

huntleybill

Post by huntleybill »

Well, Aspire is out. Just way too expensive. It's either photoVcarve or vcarve desktop.

Also, is there a way to make the picture ready for vector engraving?