VCarve. Can it convert jpg to a file I can engrave?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: VCarve. Can it convert jpg to a file I can engrave?

Post by mtylerfl »

huntleybill wrote:...Also, is there a way to make the picture ready for vector engraving?
Maybe just adjusting contrast or erasing a distracting background (done in external photo editors like GIMP or PhotoShop). The line settings, depth of cut, etc. are settings you will make in the Vectric software.

Here is a thread that may be of interest. Concerns edge-lit acrylic and engraving info. Perhaps the links provided in that thread will be helpful as you do your research.

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... 15#p218754
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

huntleybill wrote: Also, is there a way to make the picture ready for vector engraving?
You'll never be able to get something that looks like a photo, as the details are far too small for any cutting tools.

You can use something like Halftoner, which may work for you. http://jasondorie.com/page_cnc.html

But it probably isn't ideal for something so small. Perhaps with a diamond drag tool?
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Samson
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4

Post by Samson »

It depends how involved you want to get in creating the photo to carve. This can be cut with VCP. I don't know the limitations of desktop.
Spending more time, will gain better results.

BDM
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BDM »

huntleybill wrote:I looked at the videos and I don't think that is what I want to do. Those videos show cutting V grooves into the material horizontally and vertically.
I don't see how photoVcarve can engrave to get similar results as the picture below. Am I missing something?
thumbnail.jpg
Do you mean like this? http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17340

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

PhotoVCarve generates toolpaths consisting of lines that vary in width according to how dark the picture is at that location. When they are carved with a v bit and filled with paint, the picture appears. You can import the toolpath into VCarve Pro and add text.
Gracie.png
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

huntleybill
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built

Post by huntleybill »

FixitMike: Please tell me how you got that detail from the dog picture. It has much more detail that the results I got from PVC using my photo.

BDM: Yes...that looks nice but how did you get the picture to engrave? Are there instructions on how to do this? Did yo use PVC, or VCP, or ????
As you can see from MY results, I am getting nothing like that.

Sampson: I am not afraid of a little work. It seems you are getting a little better results than I did. I think if the dogs nose had some more detail ( nostrils showing a little better) etc, it might work but then again, it would be cutting horizontal or vertical lines and I don't think that is what I want to do. Even a drag bit would still make horizontal of vertical lines/scratches....right?

How would I be able to get results like this with PVC or VCP? Or is it not possible.
thumbnail.jpg

Samson
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4

Post by Samson »

You can get as much detail as you desire, so if you want to see nostrils, just take the time to get the detail. I spent less than five minutes for the result I showed.
It is V-Carved, so there aren't any vertical or horizontal lines. It would look like any other VCP carve.
It could be done with a drag bit, and if set up properly, there would be minimal lines show, if any. I've done drag images, and they are uniform, similar to blasting.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

huntleybill wrote:Also...that link you posted does not work.
Hi Bill,

I just saw your comment. Sorry for the delay!

I clicked on the link and it works just fine at my end. Don’t try a copy/paste of the link - that won’t work. You must click on the link directly in the post itself.

I think after viewing both videos, it will be helpful.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

huntleybill wrote:FixitMike: Please tell me how you got that detail from the dog picture. It has much more detail that the results I got from PVC using my photo.
Here it is: You have to manually enter a small value for the line spacing instead of using the slider.
GracieCapture.JPG
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

huntleybill
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built

Post by huntleybill »

OK...I'm going to try PVC to make a lithoplane..... just as soon as I can find some corian!

BDM
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BDM »

huntleybill wrote:
BDM: Yes...that looks nice but how did you get the picture to engrave? Are there instructions on how to do this? Did yo use PVC, or VCP, or ????
As you can see from MY results, I am getting nothing like that.
Some of the instructions are in the link, but I used PVC, set your depth to something small like 0.08", MANUALLY enter a small number into the line spacing box (8-15 should work) and use a small ballnose or 30 degree vbit to cut with. I would use cast acrylic if you want a night light. Use the preview to experiment, it doesn't cost anything to try different combos.