Too many points in my G Code

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Craig
Model of CNC Machine: industrial cnc

Too many points in my G Code

Post by Craig »

I am Using V Carve and in my drawings there are not many points showing in the arcs. But when I save the file in V Carve and load the G code into Mach 3 it puts a tremendous Number of points in there. Not sure why. All of those points make my machine run slower that the feed rate programmed in V Carve. Not a good quality cut in my machine plus the machine runs so slow. Looking at the g code, it puts points .002 apart. looks more linear than arcs. Any ideas?

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: Too many points in my G Code

Post by ger21 »

Probably because what you think are arcs are probably Bezier curves, which are broken into short G1 moves in the g-code.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Craig
Model of CNC Machine: industrial cnc

Post by Craig »

Actually, I am creating the files in my other design program - we own a sign company and have a program that we use for design work. Some are of course curves, but very few points. We run plotters, and other
equipment as well and are used to making sure that we reduce points. The code definitely has too many lines. We have an engineer with a cnc milling machine in
our shop - who has a cnc router as well. He looked at the code and said it was way too many. He is not familiar with V Carve, so he had no more insight. Anyway, I
certainly am not familiar enough with V Carve yet and certainly not Mach 3 - not sure if the Mach 3 could be the culprit either. Thanks and I will take any more thoughts that
you may have as well.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

What program are you using to design & how are you exporting from it ?
What post processor are you using to save the g-code for mach3 & how have you got your CV settings in mach3 ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

I always check imported vectors and clean them if necessary.

In the "Edit Objects" icon group, select "Node Editing" to perform that.

You can minimize the node number using "Fit curves to selected vectors" and choosing the allowance. It will dramatically reduce the node number.

See the manual for full description.

HTH
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

Some post processors save ARCs, some don't, and convert curves into a gazillion lines of code.

Try this: save with a Mach3 post processor without ARC in the name, then save with one that does have ARC in the name and compare the results. If the one saved with ARCS post processor is significantly smaller, the problem is in your post processor.