Tool path error

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
zaxis
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4 V5 Pro

Tool path error

Post by zaxis »

Using VCarve pro I was trying to pocket a rectangle 8.25x 7.25. It seems that no matter what I did I would always end up .125 too small each way. I finally just had to expand the pocket within the program by .0625 and use a profile cut to make the pocket the correct size. Has anyone had this happen before? I went back and redrew everything and recalculated the tool paths with the same result. My next job was OK again????

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Tool path error

Post by IslaWW »

Was the bit diameter the same as listed for the selected bit in the tools parameters?
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

What was the toolpath preview like ? Pretty sure if others were having the same issue then the forum would be full of posts about pockets cutting the wrong size :lol: :lol:

why did you have to expand the pocket size to run a profile cut ? Were you using the same bit you cut the pocket with ? Were you ising a large area clearing tool ?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

As Gary says check all the diameters in the toolpath. A common error is to have the description set to something like 'End Mill 0.25' but the actual too diameter is set 0.125". A quick glance leads you to think you have the correct tool but you don't. You need to check the Edit section in the toolpath before checking the tool database.

zaxis
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4 V5 Pro

Post by zaxis »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I had switched from .375 to .5 but I was very careful to recalculate the tool path. I think for some reason the .375 was stuck in the code. I finally started a new file and did a redo on everything and it was fine again. For whatever reason the bit size would not over write in the code until I started a new file??? :shock: :shock:

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

You have to recalculate the toolpath with the new bit diameter and then save a new file, and hopefully overwrite the original.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com