Adding names to a Design and Make

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
wolfeman
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve

Adding names to a Design and Make

Post by wolfeman »

Any help would really help me out.
I downloaded a design and make. The trailer in the woods camp sight. After getting it cut out someone wanted their names added to the lower part of the cut out. ( the background area around the trailer Not the very top of Material but the depth of the area around the trailer). Everything I try does not look right. I tried starting at Zero and projecting the words down, I tried setting the background as zero then cutting down 0.125. I am using a 60 degree V-bit and cutting down 0.125. No font looks right in the preview and some fonts tell me there is 60 open vectors and there are no good vectors. I tried to close the vectors. I tried tru-type fonts and single line fonts only to find out single line fonts will not work. I feel they should work, I really do not know how to do this. can you help. Using V-carve pro 9. I do not see a way to attach the file so you could see. My cutting area is 12x12x.75 I used the 3-D roughing and 3-D finishing for the original cutting. Now need to add the names.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Adding names to a Design and Make

Post by Adrian »

Don't attach the file as it's copyright.

Most true type fonts should work as far as the software is concerned for a v-carve toolpath. Whether it looks right is down to personal preference. As long as you have the Project toolpath onto 3D model checked you should be ok.

Single line fonts don't work with v-carve toolpaths. You need to use a profile toolpath set to be On the line with the project toolpath checked as well.

wolfeman
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wolfeman »

I figured it out. It just always look so strange because it would show the text as if it was cutting from the top of the material and not from the cut out area.
I think that vectric needs to show some of there cut outs (finished products) and not just show what the preview shows because it is not always the same.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Can you attach a picture of what you have done?

If you are trying to add VCarved letters to a model have you checked the Project toolpath on to 3D Model on the VCarve toolpath?
John
Maker of Chips

wolfeman
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wolfeman »

You are so right about it being copy written. I am very careful about that. :D I was going to just attach the Name part so it could be seen. Thanks for your help!!

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

wolfeman wrote:I think that vectric needs to show some of there cut outs (finished products) and not just show what the preview shows because it is not always the same.
I've found that the preview is a very accurate representation of what will be carved.
John
Maker of Chips

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

wolfeman wrote:I figured it out. It just always look so strange because it would show the text as if it was cutting from the top of the material and not from the cut out area.
I think that vectric needs to show some of there cut outs (finished products) and not just show what the preview shows because it is not always the same.
They should be the same. If they're not then the issue is usually outside of the Vectric software. In all the years I've been on the forum and using the software I can only think of a couple of times the preview was inaccurate and those were bugs that were fixed very quickly.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

wolfeman wrote:I figured it out. It just always look so strange because it would show the text as if it was cutting from the top of the material and not from the cut out area.
If I understand correctly your issue, this behavior is perfectly normal.

It is a toolpath simulation. So if you don't virtually machine your relief first, the engraving will be simulated in the whole stock.

Just create a dummy 3D finishing toolpath, then run it in the toolpath preview before simulating the engraving toolpath.

You don't need a 3D roughing toolpath as virtual finishing mill will virtually cut the virtual stock without any issue :D
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As has already been said you need to run the 3D model preview first, once you have run that then run the toolpath for the text you are engraving & the preview will show you exactly what you will get :lol: :lol:
As highpockets has said the toolpath previews are extremely accurate, I use them a lot & it ensures that I am not wasting material or time cutting things that are wrong :lol: :lol: