Keeping tool database sync'd?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Mark Bolton
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre408PRO-10HPHSD-10posATC-WinCNC

Keeping tool database sync'd?

Post by Mark Bolton »

Is there a way other than to manually keep the tool database sync'd between two machines? Have the typical setup of machine in the office, machine at the CNC, and working remotely, and would love to be able to have any change/addition to the tool database reflected on all the machines. Is it possible to point Vcarve to a cloud based folder instead of the application data folder location? Or would syncing that folder via onedrive or google drive and all the machines work?

We do it manually now but its a pain to have to remember when youve added a new tool or created a fictitious tool in the office and then go into the shop and have to re-import or copy the database info to that machine. Same thing when the order in the ATC is changed. Would be nice if these could be reflected across all machines.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Keeping tool database sync'd?

Post by Adrian »

Way I used to do it was to create symbolic links and store the database on NAS.

Syncing the folder would probably work as long as the sync was complete before starting VCarve each time. I expect there would be locking issues if it tried to sync while it was active but I haven't tried it.

I haven't updated my tool database in years after a flurry of activity when I first started. I use a library of cloud based toolpath templates which have all the info in them instead.

Mark Bolton
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre408PRO-10HPHSD-10posATC-WinCNC

Re: Keeping tool database sync'd?

Post by Mark Bolton »

Thanks Adrian. The Sync doesnt seem to work. Will have to look into the symbolic links. Reading up on the mlink thing. Likely simple for someone under 50 lol. Appreciate your time.