Need to know how long a line is

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
firechief
Model of CNC Machine: MachMate

Need to know how long a line is

Post by firechief »

How can I find out how long a line is, it has straits and curves over a 4' x 8' part.
I,m using V Carve pro.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Need to know how long a line is

Post by mtylerfl »

Use the Measure Tool
Attachments
measure_tool-icon.png
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3XXL / Carvewright RevB

Post by Ton80 »

I was wondering how to use that tool and just in case the OP is also, here is my first contribution toward answering a question someone else has posted... I've been pretty good at asking questions and getting lots of great answers! Payback time... I hope ;)

Use the tool M.Tyler points out and SELECT the Span/Contour Properites mode
Capture contour span measure.PNG
I wasn't sure how to screen shot the little cursor but it will change to an ARROR wih the SPAN indicator ~ . Place the cursor on a section of your line you need to measure and click. The results show are:

TYPE - it will tell you what type of section you clicked on.. i.e. LINE or BEZIER
LENGTH: this will tell you the length of that SPAN section you clicked on.. basically node to node
< THIS IS THE PART YOU PROBABLY WANT TO KNOW >
VECTOR : will report the total length of all the spans that form a complete vector length. It will tell you the type of vector ( open / closed ) the Perimeter ( in the case of an open vector this looks to be the TOTAL LENGTH which is what you are looking for ) and it will tell you how many spans are joined up to create the total vector length.

Boy I hope I got this correct ... please someone let me know if I didn't and I'll edit or delete so it's not left up here. I had to go in and figure this out so if I did get it right, then I learned something also.

John

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

line length.jpg
All Vectors/spans must be joined to provide an overall line/vector length when using this tool as noted by the arrow in this image above. You can click any span within the full line span and it will provide the length of that particular span and the overall length of the Open Vector/Span.

Have a GREAT DAY!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I think you summed that up pretty well John, don't think my first reply to a question was anywhere near as detailed or well explained, great being part of this forum isn't it :lol: :lol: