Vectric Staff Pls Help! Lost whole tool Library!?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro

Vectric Staff Pls Help! Lost whole tool Library!?

Postby Gaylon Raney » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:54 pm

I was working on a project and all of a sudden the software froze up and I had to end task then when I reopened it I had lost every tool that I had in the library. I hadn't added to many as I use many of the standard tools that came already set in the software, but even those are gone I have nothing in it now. I was wondering if this has ever happen before and if there is a way to get it back or something to do to restore them? at least the original library tools that come with it? Thank You?
Gaylon Raney

Model of CNC Machine: shapeoko 3 XXL

Re: Vectric Staff Pls Help! Lost whole tool Library!?

Postby martin54 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:00 pm

When you say you have lost the tools what do you mean exactly? Are they just missing when you have the software open or have they gone from the folder they are stored in ??
martin54
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Gerber System 48 (modified)

Postby Gaylon Raney » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:11 pm

They are gone all together. the folders and all. Like even the folders that were imperial and metric all that is gone it is just blank on that whole side
Gaylon Raney

Postby martin54 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:30 pm

A screenshot would help, still not sure I fully understand where the folders have gone from, do they just not show in the vectric software or have you checked your c drive? Can't remember if the tool database folder id under public users or programdata on the c drive. Might also depend what version of the software your using.
martin54
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Gerber System 48 (modified)

Postby IslaWW » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:58 pm

Did you make a backup that you could restore? If not, you can reinstall the program and have the default tdb back
Gary Campbell
CNC Technology & Training
The Ultimate Woodworking Machine
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com
IslaWW
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: The Ultimate Woodworking Machine

Postby highpockets » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:04 pm

Check your recycle bin.
John
Maker of Chips
highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Postby Adrian » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:24 pm

When people say folders they're not referring to the folder display in the tool library. They mean the actual folders (directories) in Windows where the tool library is stored.

Go to the File Menu in VCarve and choose Open Application Data folder. That will open an explorer window. There should be a folder there called ToolDatabase within that folder there should be files which are the current tool database, backups of any existing ones when you upgraded (if you have done so) and a copy of the original database from the installation. What files (if any) do you have in that folder?
Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Postby Gaylon Raney » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:53 pm

Adrian wrote:When people say folders they're not referring to the folder display in the tool library. They mean the actual folders (directories) in Windows where the tool library is stored.

Go to the File Menu in VCarve and choose Open Application Data folder. That will open an explorer window. There should be a folder there called ToolDatabase within that folder there should be files which are the current tool database, backups of any existing ones when you upgraded (if you have done so) and a copy of the original database from the installation. What files (if any) do you have in that folder?

Ok sorry guys I wasn't looking in the actual folders that was what I was wondering how to get there to restore them.. I found 2 folders when i opened the Application Data Folder. 1 was one where I only added the 2 tools after they went missing. the other has to be the original but when I click it it is asking me how do I want to open it and I chose explorer....should I use that or something else cause its not letting me like restore them or download them. I found them just not sure how to get them back into the software though. Sorry guys for the downfall on my behalf lol but all help is appreciated as I really need em back. thanks
Gaylon Raney

Postby Adrian » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:33 am

You can try right clicking on the tools.tool_db file and then choose Properties, Previous Versions (if you have a version of Windows that supports it and you have it enabled) to see if you can roll back to the version of the file before the problem.

Otherwise you could rename the backup file to get the original install database back or re-install VCarve.
Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Return to VCarve - General