copy/paste from one project to another / layers get messed u

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Ton80
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3XXL / Carvewright RevB

copy/paste from one project to another / layers get messed u

Post by Ton80 »

I create my work on a master file, then this work gets copied to TWO individual files - one is a left half and the other a right half. The master file is split into two halves so I can carve it on a set of door blanks for a cabinet.

Something odd happens with the layers though when I go about taking a second step after pasting into the left or right half file. If I paste then move all the elements on the Y Axis to where I need them ( they are still selected and I use the MOVE function and set Y to -/+6 RELATIVE ), all seems fine and the vectors are on the layers that match the MASTER FILE

The next step is to create a rectangle to use as my TRIM vector to remove all the elements that are left hanging off the job dimensions. I place this on it's own layer so it's easily hidden while I select all the other vectors that I need to trim. I SELECT ALL ( with the trim vector layer hidden ) then turn the trim vector layer on, select it with shift held and then use the TRIM tool and use the CLEAR INSIDE option. This chops all the part which are overhanging and enclosed in my Trim Vector. BUT it also now combines all my layers onto a single layer. I have four layers set up and they are all still there but 3 are now empty with all my vectors combined.. in the case of these screenshots, they all got tossed onto the ARCH2 layer.

What is going on and is this normal behavior when using the TRIM TOOL?
Attachments
you see layers are all turned on.. each set of vectors is where I placed them.  This is my MASTER FILE
you see layers are all turned on.. each set of vectors is where I placed them. This is my MASTER FILE
This is after I perform the TRIM operation - you can see I turned off 3 layers but all the vectors are visible.  This is my RIGHT DOOR file
This is after I perform the TRIM operation - you can see I turned off 3 layers but all the vectors are visible. This is my RIGHT DOOR file

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: copy/paste from one project to another / layers get mess

Post by Adrian »

It's the current active layer that is important. Most operations that affect a vector result in a new vector being created that will be placed on the active layer not the layer it was originally on. That is correct behaviour.

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ton80 »

Ok.. thanks. I guess that makes sense since the vectors are being changed.. it likely was the active layer but I didn't really pay attention to that. SO I just have to reassign these to the layers I want them to be on.

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ton80 »

Yes, it is copying to the currently active layer as I just tested. Thanks again for helping me understand why this was happening.