3d first timer issues

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
connalj
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop max

3d first timer issues

Post by connalj »

Hi folks,

I am trying to make a 3d Rose be above the material (raised).

So the first thing, I need to do is rough it, but how do I remove the material around the rose completely. This will be a box lid.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: 3d first timer issues

Post by martin54 »

There are several ways it could be done, one method would be to machine the whole work piece using the material as a boundary, easy to do but the downside is the finish quality on the flat areas of the lid & the time taken to machine it all using 3D toolpaths. Another method would be to use a vector boundary & just machine the rose using 3D toolpaths & then pocket the rest of the lid down to the required depth. Quicker method but requires a bit more accuracy setting up to ensure you don't get a step where the 2 meet :lol: :lol:

There are quite a few tutorials on 3D machining & also some tutorials on efficient 3D machining in the 2015 user group section :lol: :lol:

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I do the pocket like Martin said around the outer periphery of the model boundary.

Just a little tweak though. What I do is create the material boundary then painstakingly node edit to get the boundary as smooth as possible and as few nodes as possible. Then I offset "IN" a few thousandths - maybe .01 or so.

Also - I set the pocket deeper than the model, so that there is a little bit of straight sides on the outer periphery of the model.

By doing this I get a nice flat surface of the outer pocket area right up to the model with no step. Nice clean look.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

connalj
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop max

Post by connalj »

Everyone.
Thank you for your input. I am looking forward to trying out each process to build my experiences:-)