Hiding part of clipart

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
SummerSkye
Model of CNC Machine: Thom Carr

Hiding part of clipart

Post by SummerSkye »

Hello, I am rather new to VCarve Pro and I am trying to use clipart from Design & Make. What I am trying to do is to have a Baseball with only a 1/4th of a Bat coming out of it. Actually I need to have two of these (either end of the bat) coming out at different angles. The problem I am having is that even though I am using fade in compound properties the back part of the bat comes out the back of the baseball. Is there a way to hide a portion of a piece of clipart.

tks
David

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Re: Hiding part of clipart

Post by sharkcutup »

Post a copy of your .crv file of what you are trying to do here on the forum and we here at the forum may be able to help you without having to guess at all the various possibilities!!! Your .crv file will help in providing a better picture/idea of what you are attempting to do!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

The problem with posting the CRV is it has copyright material.

Are you trying to place the bat behind the ball as if the bat is hitting the ball?

Try reducing the depth of the bat and also use the merge component on the bat.
John
Maker of Chips

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

oops how True!!!! Sorry!

On with the Guessing!!!

How about a screen shot or the saved preview??? Would that help???

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

A screenshot or a picture with the same sort of idea would help, that is what I always suggest to people if they can't post a file for copyright reasons, any sort of visual indication would be good :lol: :lol:

SummerSkye

Post by SummerSkye »

Thanks for the replies!

The attached file is what I am trying to create. I have the baseball sports package clipart from design & make. I have imported the baseball and two copies of the bat, merging the bat into the baseball where it matches the uploaded jpg file. The problem I am having is that the bats come out the back of the baseball. I was hoping there was someway to cover them so they are not carved. I'm used to Corel Draw where you can cover part of an object with white space and it won't print.

Thanks for your thoughts
Attachments
Logo Draw.jpg

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

You could use vector boundaries to limit how much of each bat is machined, the toolpath preview will show you how it looks. draw some vectors where you want the bats to be machined & when setting up your 3D toolpaths use the option to use selected vectors as your boundary, then just select those vectors & calculate :lol: :lol:

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi David,

Without the clipping tools present in Aspire, you can use a 'zero plane component' with a combine mode of 'low' a little like you would have used an object with white space to cover the bit you don't want in Corel.

As a simple example.

1) Import your baseball bat into a new model
2) Rotate to desired angle
3) On the modelling tab select the last icon to create a zero plane component
4) By default the zero plane will cover the whole model - you want to resize it down to mask out the area of the base ball bat you don't want
  • a) Click on 'Zero Plane' in the component list - handles will appear in the 2D and 3D view
    b) Drag Top/Bottom and Left/Right handles to create a component about the right size to cover the piece of bat you don't require
    c) Rotate the 'Zero Plane' component and drag into position to cover the unwanted area of the bat component
    d) Right click the 'Zero Plane' component in the component tree and set 'Combine Mode' to low
5) You should see that this has reset the area of the bat under the 'Zero Plane' component to zero
6) Group the Bat and 'Zero Plane' to create a single component you can position / rotate
  • a) In the component tree, select both the 'Zero Plane' component and the Base Ball bat (hold shift when selecting)
    b) Right click selected components and choose Group
    c) Your 'clipped' bat can now be treated like a normal component

Brian

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Now see with a visual representation of what you were looking to do you even got a member of the Vectric Staff involved in helping find a solution!!!

Isn't this forum GREAT!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

SummerSkye

Post by SummerSkye »

Thanks for the replies;

Today I tried using vector boundaries suggested by martian54. This sort of worked, it seems like you can't calculate more then one item at a time (3 total, Ball and two bats). I will try the 'zero plane component' suggested by BrianM tomorrow as it sound like this may be more efficient.

Thanks for the suggestions as each one teaches me something and is progress.

David

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Not sure I fully understand what you mean by only being able to calculate one item at a time, you should be able to select more than one vector when setting up your 3D toolpaths, even if you have to calculate each part separately you can still output the toolpaths as one file as long as they are using the same tool :lol:

Brians reply will be a better option for you anyway, he is a member of the Vectric team so his knowledge & experience are streets ahead of mine :cry: