Drawing script on painting

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Mr.Chips
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: MAKE DO

Drawing script on painting

Post by Mr.Chips »

VcarvePro 8.5

I want to write some cursive text on a painted canvas, the surface is very smooth. It’s like the image was air brushed on unlike brushed strokes which have any number of high and low patches.

I’m thinking a chisel shaped felt tipped marker, naturally with the router turned off, and angle the tip 10 degree so a 10 degree vertical movement is a straight line and curves would be wider, like a fancy cursive style would be written with a wide tip pen.

Or any other type writing instrument, I’m open to suggestions.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks

pro70z28
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Drawing script on painting

Post by pro70z28 »

I have an old engraving attachment from a manual machine that I adapted to the CNC. I took the spindle out and kept the spring loaded slider and made a marker mount for it. I set it up so the marker just makes contact and the engraver slider adjusts up and down to conform to any irregularities in the material surface. That works well for me.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

A fellow teacher I used to work with did some experimenting with using a CNC to paint/draw using paint brushes. But just dropping then dragging the brush he wasn't getting the results he liked. I showed him the fluting toolpath that lets him have the brush glide in then glide out and he ended up with some almost human like results. You might look into using the fluting toolpath.

4D

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If the canvas looks to be air brushed rather than painted with a brush then it could be a digital print or screen printed, before you spend to much time figuring out the best way to mount the marker you might want to first check that the marker doesn't bleed at all, either on the canvas or on the print :lol: :lol: