New 3d user needs help with stars

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Stari
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XXL

New 3d user needs help with stars

Post by Stari »

The file ive attached (flag), im wondering if there is a way I can use the vcarve toolpath on the stars. Im not sure if theres anyway to select just the stars to vcarve once the rest is done.
Any help?
Attachments
FlagStar.PNG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: New 3d user needs help with stars

Post by Adrian »

Create vectors for the stars, create VCarve toolpath using them and make sure the Project toolpath onto 3D model is checked and you should be good to go.

If it's not a model you original created you would need to use the sculpt tool to fill in where the stars are now.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

use the sculpt tool
No sculpt tool in VCarve.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
use the sculpt tool
No sculpt tool in VCarve.
Doh, that's what you get for clicking Unanswered posts and not checking which group it is. :oops:

Stari

Post by Stari »

Adrian wrote:Create vectors for the stars, create VCarve toolpath using them and make sure the Project toolpath onto 3D model is checked and you should be good to go.

If it's not a model you original created you would need to use the sculpt tool to fill in where the stars are now.
Thank you! Ive done stars before that had sharp corners. Not sure why they are coming out super round and blobby now?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

The bit you're using may be too big to carve the stars well.
John
Maker of Chips

Stari

Post by Stari »

highpockets wrote:The bit you're using may be too big to carve the stars well.
Yea ive tried the 90deg and 60deg amana bits. They could be too big. Ill have to test some other stuff later

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

I think I'm confused now. Is the flag a component with stars and you're carving the entire thing with a V bit?
John
Maker of Chips

Stari

Post by Stari »

highpockets wrote:I think I'm confused now. Is the flag a component with stars and you're carving the entire thing with a V bit?
Oh no not at all, im using the 3d roughing and finishing, but the stars dont come out "clean" like they do with a vbit, unless theres an endmill I can use other than a vbit to do that? If there is im not sure.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Use a ball nose bit for roughing and a smaller one for finishing. If the stars are so small that a small ball nose bit doesn't produce the desired results create vectors around each star then using a V-bit create a second finishing toolpath with all the vectors around the stars selected and using the Machining Boundary "Selected Vectors" you should get better detail with out carving the whole piece with a v-bit.

Hope this helps.
John
Maker of Chips

Stari

Post by Stari »

highpockets wrote:Use a ball nose bit for roughing and a smaller one for finishing. If the stars are so small that a small ball nose bit doesn't produce the desired results create vectors around each star then using a V-bit create a second finishing toolpath with all the vectors around the stars selected and using the Machining Boundary "Selected Vectors" you should get better detail with out carving the whole piece with a v-bit.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info ill give it a try!

Stari

Post by Stari »

highpockets wrote:Use a ball nose bit for roughing and a smaller one for finishing. If the stars are so small that a small ball nose bit doesn't produce the desired results create vectors around each star then using a V-bit create a second finishing toolpath with all the vectors around the stars selected and using the Machining Boundary "Selected Vectors" you should get better detail with out carving the whole piece with a v-bit.

Hope this helps.
Heres what I came up with (that worked)
Pocket in the stars section with a .125 ball nose
Then the full flag gets finished with a .125 3deg tapered ball nose bit

only thing is the estimated time is enourmous so ill have to figure that out. Or just scale everything down.
Attachments
flag.PNG

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Question: Is that a model of a flag? Reason for asking: the stars are designed in model to have depth. Of course with a little finesse and time you could create other tool paths to change this. But it would be a lot quicker if you had Aspire or another 3D Modeling program to change the stars to raised on flag.

If so, you can reduce the time considerably by using an end mill for the roughing pass and then use your small BN bit for the finishing pass.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

Stari

Post by Stari »

sharkcutup wrote:Question: Is that a model of a flag? Reason for asking: the stars are designed in model to have depth. Of course with a little finesse and time you could create other tool paths to change this. But it would be a lot quicker if you had Aspire or another 3D Modeling program to change the stars to raised on flag.

If so, you can reduce the time considerably by using an end mill for the roughing pass and then use your small BN bit for the finishing pass.

Sharkcutup
The plan was to cut out the flag in the end, I was just trying to get decent looking stars somehow, I can't for the life of me get them to cut down with a vbit or anything where they come out sharp on the corners. Ive done it before on a 2d model and they were perfect.

Part of me just wants to cut the stripe part out with the waves and leave the stars section flat, but then it might look off because of the difference. I don't know what to do.

I dont have nor can afford aspire, pro is about far as I go until I get this shop going a little better. I do have the file however if anyone wants to take a look at it.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

When you are setting up the toolpath for the stars from the vectors you have drawn are you checking the box to project the toolpath onto the 3d model as Adrian suggested at the top of the page ?