Confusing Error

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Uzumati
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 Pro+

Confusing Error

Post by Uzumati »

I have a file that when I go to create the toolpath it says there are 4 open vectors that are being ignored, but when I go to the menu bar and “select, all open vectors” it says there are no open vectors found. Visually I cannot find any open vectors, is there another way for the software to show me the open vectors the toolpath tool is seeing?

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Confusing Error

Post by IslaWW »

Can you post the file?
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Please post copy of your file so that we here can review it for you.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Try clicking on "Select all open vectors" then press the Delete key. Sometime you can have a vector that is very small.
John
Maker of Chips

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Highpockets brings up a valid point.

you may have stray vector(s) that are not visible and even if you zoomed in tight it would take you a long time to find them.

Left click and draw a box around the entire material area which will select all vectors, then hold down the shift key and select (which will deselect) all the vectors visible that you want to keep, then press the delete key on your keyboard this will delete all vectors you don't want and the invisible stray vectors too.

And also if you can post a copy of the file here so that we may review it for you.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

If it says there are no open vectors, I mean actually displays the pop-up, then there are no open vectors.
If it doesn't say anything and you are assuming that means there are none, there are. In that case, use the above suggestion but I would add, instead of just deleting them, right click and 'move to new layer". Then you can look at them to see if they are needed. If not, delete away.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Frunple wrote:If it doesn't say anything and you are assuming that means there are none, there are.
To double-check what "Frunple" points out look to the lower right where the X, Y, H, and W are. There should be "S:nnn". If you select all open vectors and S:0 is the result you have no open vectors. If S: is >0 though...

Uzumati
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 Pro+

Post by Uzumati »

been away from the computer for a while sorry for the delay. When I go to Selection>Select All Open Vectors the popup says no open vectors found. When I go to create the Quick Engrave (Fill) toolpath the popup says 4 open vectors found and are being ignored. I have been trying to upload the file as an attachment but it just keeps deleting what I have typed so I have to start over and not giving me any error to point me to what is wrong. The file is about 9Mb. Gave up on the site here is a dropbox link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/elt45igm9yf5w ... e.crv?dl=0

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

The vectors were grouped, Select Open Vectors can't find open vectors in a group. The second line of the error message told you this. Ungroup the vectors then use Select Open Vectors.
Image 172.png
The open vectors are in the right side of the image.
Image 171.png
John
Maker of Chips

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

John,

Your error message screenshot really does point out that the more information presented to us the easier it is to diagnose a poster's problems. Had we known about the vectors being in groups rather than "it says there are no open vectors" this would been answered easily.

Steven

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

First of all when I loaded the file into V-Carve I found that the vectors were grouped and as being grouped when you select all open vectors it will say that there are no open vectors (it is grouped that is why)!

Now I ungrouped all the vectors and then selected 'select all open vectors it showed some open vectors' at the same location as highpockets has pointed out. Not only is there an open vector but there is another closed vector on top/below (overlapped) here. Removed open and overlapped vectors and then ran the toolpath.

Engraving toolpath does run after the above cleanup.
sandcastle_2.jpg
But even after clearing that up I performed a vector validator check on all the vectors and this is what the program found.

130 zero-length spans
99 Overlaps
37 Intersections
266 issues found total
sandcastle.jpg
Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004