Stubborn Vectors and nodes! HELP!

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
tankerzuke
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Stubborn Vectors and nodes! HELP!

Post by tankerzuke »

Hello all! I am working on a sign for my business. I created it in AI then imported the vector into Vcarve Desktop. It says there are A LOT of open vectors. I have corrected some but some need to be joined that are part of two completely separate vector lines but need to meet to make the shape correctly. As far as I have been able to find it seems there is not a way to connect them! I will attach the CRV and a pic of one example of what I am asking about. Thanks in advance for any help

Zuke
Attachments
LogoExample.crv
(449.5 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
vectors.JPG

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Stubborn Vectors and nodes! HELP!

Post by highpockets »

Try one of the join tools.
Image 162.png
John
Maker of Chips

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

It can be done but with a lot of node editing. If you use the V-Carve/Engraving Toolpath, does it matter if you have open vector? But to close the vectors, the single lines around the hand plane, click on each one and under edit objects, select close vector with straight line. It will be a double line, but so close it would still appear to be one and should machine as one. If you need each line closer, use the node editing tool. Then you need to close each part of the banner. First I would copy all of the banner. You need to have part of the same line of one part to close the other. Using the scissors, cut the remaining section away. Once that section is joined, paste what you copied, then do the same with the other parts of the banner. On the plane, same thing with the banner, you need part of one section of the line to close the other part. Copy and paste the same as you did on the banner. I also noticed you have some vectors overlapping each other. If you select each vector and it appears darker, select it, then delete it. If one is still there, you're in good shape. If it disappears, hit ctrl-z and it will bring it back. Hope that helps.

Gary

tankerzuke

Post by tankerzuke »

@highpockets, Those only work to close the same vector string. You cannot use any of them to close line A to Line B only to another point on line A. @garylmast, I have tried most of your suggestions and while I am not done with the editing on this I'm really trying to find out if and how you can connect two completely different vectors. In the picture, I attached you can see where those arrows are. Those two lines are completely unattached yet make up the frame for the hand plane.

I extended the end node of the one crossing the top but cannot get it to attach to the other side. As I stated earlier, those tools only help to close a single vector string as in A to A but do nothing for A to B. That is where my dilemma is. Thanks for your responses though.

Zuke

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Zuke,

You can use the join tools to join vector A & B. Example: select vectors A & B and use the Join/Close vectors with straight line.
Last edited by highpockets on Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Maker of Chips

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Two separate vectors
Two separate vectors
Select both vectors
Select both vectors
Click Join/Close vectors with a straight line
Click Join/Close vectors with a straight line
John
Maker of Chips

tankerzuke

Post by tankerzuke »

I posted it in the original post, I just have seen your examples and will give it a try thanks! I have been trying to select both in node edit and couldn't. Thanks

Zuke

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Yes you did post the file, sorry I missed that on first read.

I took a look at your project file, there are a lot of intersecting and overlapping vectors. These can cause problems when trying to setup toolpaths.
Image 166.png
John
Maker of Chips

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

With the program that you used, try exporting or saving the AI as an EPS instead of a dxf or dwg. Then import to Vectric.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Could it be possible you brought in and/or created the plane vectors twice? The reason I ask is I am finding a lot of overlaps of the plane and the surroundings expression vectors as if it was duplicated!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

This file can be cleanup with time of course. It has taken me nearly an hour just to get rid of the overlaps/duplicate vectors. I have managed to get the file down to 47 intersections, no overlaps, no zero length spans. And this does not include going back to closing open vectors and there are a lot of those too!!!

A lot of time and of course a bit of patience!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Hello all! I am working on a sign for my business. I created it in AI then imported the vector into Vcarve Desktop. It says there are A LOT of open vectors. I have corrected some but some need to be joined that are part of two completely separate vector lines but need to meet to make the shape correctly. As far as I have been able to find it seems there is not a way to connect them! I will attach the CRV and a pic of one example of what I am asking about. Thanks in advance for any help

Zuke
Two completely separate vector lines can be joined using the 'Weld' tool but unfortunately it creates other problems that would have to be cleaned up.

The 'overlap' tool can help solve some of the overlaps that are a complete identical duplicate vectors.

Overall like I said in my previous post "Time and Patience"!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Just for fun you might want to use VCarve to trace the original bitmap into vectors. Illustrator's Image Trace function can be a bit too clever for its own good.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Just for fun you might want to use VCarve to trace the original bitmap into vectors. Illustrator's Image Trace function can be a bit too clever for its own good.

I'll Second that Motion!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

Wouldn't this be easier to just use V-caarve to create the whole thing?? Using the 3d clipart, you can find better banners and I bet a block plane too.
Would be a lot cleaner.