Stubborn Vectors and nodes! HELP!

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Re: Stubborn Vectors and nodes! HELP!

Post by sharkcutup »

Yup would be a lot cleaner and definitely a lot easier but I myself tend to like the Authentic Woodcraft Look!!!

Just my opinion!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

tankerzuke
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by tankerzuke »

Sorry, I haven't responded I was in the shop all day yesterday and never got online. The file was created with vector graphics in AI and saved as a .AI file then imported as a vector into Vcarve. The plane wasn't copied twice it is the way whoever made the plane graphic designed it. One thing I am curious about is it keeps telling that the rays behind the plane are "open vectors" but I don't see how when each line is its own vector! adze_cnc, AI doesn't have a bitmap choice only JPG and PNG besides AI, EPS, and PDF. When I tried to import it as a JPG it was worse looking.

I have already cut this sign previously but did not like the way the "The" looked as it was in cursive. Basically, all I did was change the "The" and the font on the Custom Wood and creations.

When you look at the original AI vector it does not contain all these intersecting lines and weird issues and if Vcarve works with vectors and AI creates vectors why does it get so jacked when it is imported? Now with a little more info is there any suggestions you fine gentleman can offer to lessen the amount of work to get this thing good? Even re-importing or the like? Thanks for all the responses!

Zuke

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Each line can be it's own vector and still be open. A single shape in the form of a U is one vector but is open whereas an O is still one vector but is closed. You can't join an open vector to a closed vector without them both becoming open.

tankerzuke
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by tankerzuke »

So if your design has single straight lines in it, how do you make it so they are considered "closed"?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

By it's self you can't close a straight line vector. You need to add more geometry to create a closed box, arch or something else that will close the vector.

As Adrian said a "U" is an open vector but a "O" is a closed vector.
John
Maker of Chips

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

All depends on what toolpaths you're using and what effect you want etc. Also depends on the shape in question. If it's a rectangle with all 4 sides touching but not joined then just use the join tools to make it a closed vector and it will look the same to the eye but the software will then see it as closed. If it's the example of a U shape then it all depends on the design and what you want to do with it.

You could profile cut it as is or, if you wanted to V-Carve it you would need to create another smaller/larger U shape and join them together to make an inner and outer frame.

It's important to note that you can't mix open and closed vectors in the same profile toolpath if you have it set to inside or outside. You have to create separate toolpaths for the open ones and closed ones or create one toolpath set to be On the vector rather than inside/outside.

If you're doing a V-Carve or pocket toolpath then you need closed vectors as it's the closed shape that defines the boundaries of those toolpaths.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

When you look at the original AI vector it does not contain all these intersecting lines and weird issues and if Vcarve works with vectors and AI creates vectors why does it get so jacked when it is imported?

It's not the easiest thing for me to try & explain but it basically comes down to how any program saves it's files, doesn't matter what program they all have their own individual file system & other programs have to be able to read & understand that. So it's a little bit like language translation where sometimes it's difficult to translate word for word :lol: :lol:

If you want to design using AI then you would be better exporting from AI as an EPS rather than an AI file because EPS is more of a standard file format so it makes it easier for other programs to import it. If you are new to using Vector based software then really you would be better learning to use the drawing tools in vcarve & doing all your design work with that, then you won't have problems with any vectors created in the projects.

Bitmap is a general term for a pixel based image so a jpeg is a bitmap image :lol:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The other thing to bear in mind that a program designed to produce vector graphics for artwork and the web is a different thing from one that produces vectors for CAD/CAM work.

I use Xara for my web and graphics work and what looks to be a perfectly formed vector that is identical in shape and form to one in VCarve is far from it when you start to drill down into the exploded shape. For the purposes the artist originally created the vector for there's nothing wrong with it but a CNC program can't ignore extra data without guidance.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

tankerzuke wrote:adze_cnc, AI doesn't have a bitmap choice only JPG and PNG besides AI, EPS, and PDF. When I tried to import it as a JPG it was worse looking.
You misunderstood. I was not suggesting that you export the AI file to some bitmap format to be imported into VCarve.

I was suggesting that the AI file might have been originally created from a bitmap by someone using Illustrator's "image trace" function. I was suggesting that that original bitmap be brought into VCarve for VCarve's own bitmap tracing function.

See attached screen shot of a detail of your CRV file. To me, the vectors shown, especially the "C", suggest that this was originally an image traced bitmap.
LogoExample-detail..gif

redwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro6

Post by redwood »

I think I could have made that logo in Vcarve in the time it took me to read all the posts. PS: I'm a slow reader.
Mark
Pioneer, CA