Setting up a boat oar to cut out

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
cusoak
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3D XXL

Setting up a boat oar to cut out

Post by cusoak »

I have a file of a boat oar that I want to cut out. I am using material that is 3/4"thick
I have set up ruffing and finishing tool paths and when I run the simulation it looks like an oar.
When I look at the simulation of the edges they are not very thick.
This is a 1 sided job so it is taking a lot of material off to get to the finish point.
Which means 2hours of running,
Would there be some way of changing the thickness the paddle part so it would be thicker or could I use a bigger dia ruffing tool.
I would be willing to share the file I have with someone to check to see if what I have done is right.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Setting up a boat oar to cut out

Post by garylmast »

Under the Modeling Tab, click on the component, then under component properties (the crescent wrench icon) if you want to keep the same height, reduce the Shape Height and add that amount to the Base Height. If you just want to make it thicker, just add to the base height.

Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

When it comes to 3D machining then use the largest tool possible that gives the level of detail you require, without seeing a screen shot or the file it is difficult to answer but I doubt there will be much fine detail with something like an oar, roughing cuts can generally be run with a large(ish) stepover & what ever doc, speed & feed settings your machine will allow,
Use the toolpath preview screen to determine what size bit gives the level of detail/finish you require :lol: :lol:

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

How did you 2 learn how to start setting up toolpaths for 3d objects
If you could point me to a video that might be where I need to start.
I think That is I could see what the process is to get to and setting up the toolpaths .
Then I would be able to do it on my own.
I would be willing to post a file that has the oar in it for some one to look at
Jeff

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Everybody, especially me, loves to just get into it without reading the instructions. I got my first CNC machine about 14-years ago, so I have a lot of "Vectric Mileage" behind me, but also, I watched the training videos Vectric offers to get me familiarize with whatever type project I'm planning on doing. Constantly I will learn something new from reading this forum, which I read everyday. If you can't figure things out by watching the videos, don't be afraid to research it on this forum. I bet your question will be answered, however, first watch the videos.

http://support.vectric.com/training-material

Gary

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

I don't have the same knowledge & experience as Gary but I have been working as a signmaker (Vinyl & Digital Print) since about 2000 - 2001 so the design side, working with vectors etc was something that I didn't have to learn which made it easier for me to learn the cam side of the software :lol: :lol:
Like Gary I use the forum a lot, always something new to learn no matter how much you think you know :lol:

The tutorials are excellent & most of them come with files you can download & then follow along with as the tutorial progresses, a dual monitor, widescreen set up or 2 computers helps as you can watch on one & follow along on the other, personally I find it easier to learn by doing rather than just watching so this worked well for me. Don't just watch them once, watch a few times until you understand what you are doing, starting at the beginning & working your way through them will give you a better understanding rather than just cherry picking the more advanced tutorials.
I am also lucky as I have an engineering background, 20 years in the Royal Navy as an engineer, CNC wasn't something I came across but was trained on manual machines, it all helps :lol:

As well as studying the tutorials, reading the forum & asking questions the other thing you need to do is learn to trust the toolpath preview screen, it is very accurate & can save you a lot of time & wasted material :lol: :lol:
If you get the chance to go to any of the user group meetings then you will learn a lot & get to meet other users, there is some other training available but don't really know to much about that as I am in the UK :lol: :lol:

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

Thanks I will see if I can find some tutorial of doing tool paths for cutting shapes

jeff

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Use the search bar at the top of the tutorial page, you can select which vectric software you are using & what subject you would like tutorials on, the link was a search for 3D toolpaths which was what you originally asked for but there are good tutorials that cover a number of other types of toolpath :lol: :lol:

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... =8&order=1

If after studying the tutorials you have any other questions then just ask :lol: :lol:

If you look at the product support page you will see a section called tips & tricks at the bottom of the page, these are short 5 min or so tutorials on a range of subjects, they also contain very useful info but in small quantities :lol: :lol: Very useful & worth watching but I wouldn't suggest you use those instead of the longer main tutorials :lol: :lol:

http://support.vectric.com/