splitting file

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro

splitting file

Postby shawn1 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:32 am

hello
i was wondering if there is a way to split a v carve text file into 2 parts that could be carved at different times
some carves are too long
thank you
Shawn
shawn1
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: homemade

Re: splitting file

Postby Rcnewcomb » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:44 am

From the post processor guide....

Tape Splitting Support
TAPE_SPLITTING = " "

Format is: TAPE_SPLITTING = MAX_NUM_LINES LINE_TOL ”FILENAME_FORMAT” START_INDEX INDEX_ON_FIRST_FILE
For example a command of TAPE_SPLITTING = 1000 100 "%s_%d.tap" 1 "YES" would lead to ...

Output will be split into multiple files of a maximum of 1000 lines (+ however many lines in there are within the footer section of the post processor), if a retract move exists after line 900 (1000 – 100), the file will be split at that move. If the file was called "toolpath" the split files would be named toolpath_1.tap, toolpath_2.tap etc. The first toolpath output will be "toolpath_ 1.tap" there will be no file named "toolpath" without an index number, (as INDEX_ON_FIRST_FILE= YES is used), unless the file was less than 1000 lines long, in which case the file would not be split.

For an example, see the file: Busellato_Gen_Arcs_TS_mm.pp

Note: Some controllers that require NC files to be split, also have limitations on the number of characters within a filename. For example they may require the file to be named with the MSDOS style 8.3 filename format. This should be considered when naming the output file.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
Rcnewcomb
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: GCnC/WinCNC

Postby martin54 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Depending on what Control software you use for your CNC your other option is to load the whole file but then use the option to run from a specific line of code in the program, I do this sometimes with very large files so I can shut the machine down & go home :lol: :lol:
Next day I can resume machining from where I left off :lol: :lol:
martin54
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Gerber System 48 (modified)

Postby ger21 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:48 pm

shawn1 wrote:hello
i was wondering if there is a way to split a v carve text file into 2 parts that could be carved at different times
some carves are too long
thank you
Shawn

Create two separate toolpaths, and save them as separate files.
Gerry
ger21
Vectric Wizard

Return to VCarve - General