splitting file

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
shawn1
Model of CNC Machine: homemade

splitting file

Post by shawn1 »

hello
i was wondering if there is a way to split a v carve text file into 2 parts that could be carved at different times
some carves are too long
thank you
Shawn

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: splitting file

Post by Rcnewcomb »

From the post processor guide....

Tape Splitting Support
TAPE_SPLITTING = " "

Format is: TAPE_SPLITTING = MAX_NUM_LINES LINE_TOL ”FILENAME_FORMAT” START_INDEX INDEX_ON_FIRST_FILE
For example a command of TAPE_SPLITTING = 1000 100 "%s_%d.tap" 1 "YES" would lead to ...

Output will be split into multiple files of a maximum of 1000 lines (+ however many lines in there are within the footer section of the post processor), if a retract move exists after line 900 (1000 – 100), the file will be split at that move. If the file was called "toolpath" the split files would be named toolpath_1.tap, toolpath_2.tap etc. The first toolpath output will be "toolpath_ 1.tap" there will be no file named "toolpath" without an index number, (as INDEX_ON_FIRST_FILE= YES is used), unless the file was less than 1000 lines long, in which case the file would not be split.

For an example, see the file: Busellato_Gen_Arcs_TS_mm.pp

Note: Some controllers that require NC files to be split, also have limitations on the number of characters within a filename. For example they may require the file to be named with the MSDOS style 8.3 filename format. This should be considered when naming the output file.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Depending on what Control software you use for your CNC your other option is to load the whole file but then use the option to run from a specific line of code in the program, I do this sometimes with very large files so I can shut the machine down & go home :lol: :lol:
Next day I can resume machining from where I left off :lol: :lol:

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

shawn1 wrote:hello
i was wondering if there is a way to split a v carve text file into 2 parts that could be carved at different times
some carves are too long
thank you
Shawn
Create two separate toolpaths, and save them as separate files.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

devildoc87
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko Pro XXL

Post by devildoc87 »

Martin54,

Where do you see the option to start from a specific line of code and where can I find in the code thats running which line it is on? I am using VCarve Pro and Carbide Mover.

Thank you for the insight.