CorelDRAW

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Joeshark
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD4

CorelDRAW

Post by Joeshark »

Hi everyone. I would like to know if I can use CorelDraw with my shark hd4. I am using VCarve. will the two programs work together. thanks

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: CorelDRAW

Post by mtylerfl »

VCarve has great drawing and vector editing tools already, but yes, you can draw vectors in CorelDraw then export the vectors to a format VCarve can import. For example, export as EPS or DXF from CorelDraw, then import into your VCarve project.

I think you will discover over time, that you won't use CorelDraw as much as you may believe now, once you have become familiar with the VCarve drawing tools.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

T.R.MacMunn
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4836

Post by T.R.MacMunn »

I always design in CorelDraw, & export as a .eps to Aspire.
It depends upon how complicated your designs are what is easier for you.
I've never had to rely on the "tools" in Aspire or V-carve, so I admit I struggle with them. If I need to "trim" something, it never seems to do what I want so I just go back to Corel.
For "proof" purposes, to complete a sale, I usually send a full colour maquette of the sign, in a .jpg, & another .jpg from Aspire, showing the dimension.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If you are new to any type of drawing program then you would be best just learning to use the drawing tools in VCarve & just use the one program, if you are already familiar with Corel then you can design in that & export as has already been said.
I have been using signmaking software for many years & do a lot of my design work with that purely because I understand how it works & can get things done quickly but I have been using the tools in the Vectric program more & more as I become more familiar with it :lol: :lol:

newmexico
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by newmexico »

If you have the Corel Draw opportunity, run with that.
Don't worry, you'll still be learning the Vectric software too.

We use Illustrator.
Both Illustrator and Corel are big, robust programs!

(IMHO, VCarve is based largely on Illustrator and Corel features.)

The challenge to all of us is to become a "VECTOR GURU."
Any software you can get and use to become proficient with vectors is the answer.

Font Lab is another great tool for CNC'ers.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

newmexico wrote: (IMHO, VCarve is based largely on Illustrator and Corel features.)
There are only so many ways you can write a program to draw vectors. I use Xara for vector illustrations and that's the same as all the others as was the Microsoft (forgot the name) program that I used to use.

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

I use CorelDraw simply because I have 25 years experience using it. Problem I have using the v-carve tools is that I always try to do things the way I do in Corel out of habit, and they don't work. Cant count how many times I've dragged a vector and right-click to make a duplicate only to remember that vectric you have to hold Ctrl when you drag to make a dupe.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Mikehell wrote:..,Cant count how many times I've dragged a vector and right-click to make a duplicate only to remember that vectric you have to hold Ctrl when you drag to make a dupe.
Ha! I know what you mean. I still do that every once in awhile, too. Another item that catches me out is double-clicking on a vector to add a node at that spot when in node editing mode. (In Vectric software, the quickest way is to hover the cursor and press "I" to insert a node. Not quite as quick as CorelDraw's double-click method, but not bad at all.)

Still, my "reflex confusion" between the two software programs doesn't happen as often anymore, and I'm equally comfortable in both. Just use what works for you and don't sweat it. It took me a year or so to wean myself from doing most drawing in CorelDraw.

BTW, I've been using CorelDraw since version 1.0. That's 29 1/2 years now!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

mtylerfl wrote:
Mikehell wrote:..,Cant count how many times I've dragged a vector and right-click to make a duplicate only to remember that vectric you have to hold Ctrl when you drag to make a dupe.
Ha! I know what you mean. I still do that every once in awhile, too. Another item that catches me out is double-clicking on a vector to add a node at that spot when in node editing mode. (In Vectric software, the quickest way is to hover the cursor and press "I" to insert a node. Not quite as quick as CorelDraw's double-click method, but not bad at all.)

Still, my "reflex confusion" between the two software programs doesn't happen as often anymore, and I'm equally comfortable in both. Just use what works for you and don't sweat it. It took me a year or so to wean myself from doing most drawing in CorelDraw.

BTW, I've been using CorelDraw since version 1.0. That's 29 1/2 years now!
And here I thought I was an old timer using Corel since version 2 or 3 (back when it came on a stack of floppy disks). I started with Aldus Freehand then moved to Corel. Still trying to find a way to get Micrografx Picture Publisher to run on modern computers. :)

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

I never used Aldus Freehand, but did get Aldus PageMaker to layout my wife's thesis for her first Master degree way back when!

I've finally tossed a lot of the old software I've kept for decades. Some boxes I still "pack rat" for no logical reason. Loads of 5.25" floppies in those boxes (DOS AutoCad for example)! None of my computers have a drive that can read those, nor any software on the old 3.5" discs either. Maybe we can start a software museum. (Although I don't think anyone would be particularly interested except us old-timers!)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

I only use Corel draw to print to my laser and some tracing of clip art.
I no longer use turbocad either.

Join the club Michael.... I still have Novell Netware that took an entire box of 3-1/2" disks to load on the computer's 5" boat anchor hard drive, which took several hours... glad those 'computer' days are gone.
I did finally discard all the 5" disks but still have hundreds of 3-1/2's.
I still have one old working dos computer that has a hinged lift up cover that I used to test plug-in boards back in the 80's.

Ahhh to be young again :roll: :? :shock:
Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Maybe we can start a software museum
The Computer History Museum is just up the road from me.
Make Software explores the history, impact, and technology behind seven game-changing applications: MP3, Photoshop, MRI, Car Crash Simulation, Wikipedia, Texting, and World of Warcraft. The Stata Family Foundation Software Lab is at the center of the exhibition, where visitors are introduced to basic programming concepts and encouraged to try coding hands-on.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Super nerdy! I love it!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If you have older software that you want to run on a more up to date system then think about running a virtual machine :lol:
I run windows xp using vmware player which is a free download, I have software that I use quite a lot that I either can't afford to update or simply don't need to update because it still does everything I need it to. :lol: :lol: :lol:
At one time I did have 2 virtual machines installed on my main design PC one running windows 98 & one running windows XP but have no need for any of my old windows 98 software now so have deleted that virtual machine :lol: