New to Extira shutters and need insight

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Holycityexteriors
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot 510

New to Extira shutters and need insight

Post by Holycityexteriors »

Hi Everyone.

I’m Patrick in Charleston SC. Just joining the forum and inaugural post so if I’m in the wrong discussion thread I apologize in advance. We have a Shopbot 510 with VCarve and have just splashed into the realm of composite exterior decorative shutters. I’m excited to find a forum where I can gain some knowledge from experienced craftsmen. Please forgive me if I ask some stupid questions; I will read up and search accordingly deeper than what I’ve yet to find some background info on. That caveat expressed...

We’ve got the programming and functionality dialed in somewhat with our standard raised panel shutters as far as speed and router bit selection. I’m at somewhat of a loss with the best way to produce false-louvered shutters, however. It makes perfect sense we have to route the stiles and top/bottom frame separately from the “louvered”panel. We are using 1” and 1 1/4” thickness Extira and I’ve hit a wall.

Is there a method or router bit specifically designed to cut the false louvered portions of the shutter? These are decorative only and non-functional louvers.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: New to Extira shutters and need insight

Post by Leo »

Perhaps I am not clear on the question, but the louvers would be made individually. Personally I would purchase 1/4 thick Extira and cut to width on a table saw then bullnose the sides on a router table.

If I was making them in production I may make a special machine to bullnose both sides at once.

Then the 4 frame pieces and the louvers would all be assembled to make the shutter.

There are more talented people here with some processes.

If you are asking to make the louvered panel out of a solid panel of Extira - I don't know, and that does not sound efficient at all.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

I have made false louver paneled doors in the past. The louvers are made in ~8' sticks on a molding machine (and stacked), cannot be made (profitably) with a router. That said, they can be made with the molding toolpath, albeit with a substantial time hit
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I made my response before I saw the "OTHER" thread on louvered panels, which look like a great progess - wish I thought of it.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC