Small Bits 20 squares per inch

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
anyducks
Model of CNC Machine: 1 Shark HD

Small Bits 20 squares per inch

Post by anyducks »

I'm look at a project would create checkering at 20 squares per inch.
How small of a bit can Vcarve 9 support, Dental burrs? .01526 dia.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: Small Bits 20 squares per inch

Post by ger21 »

It should work with any size bits, regardless of how small they are.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As ger21 says there shouldn't be any limit on the size of bit you can use with the software, not sure what bits you are planning to use but I would probably be looking to use an engraving bit for something like that, would experiment a bit using the toolpath preview to see just how big I could have the flat to help give a good finish to the flat areas :lol: :lol:

anyducks
Model of CNC Machine: 1 Shark HD

Post by anyducks »

I want to try stock checkering.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I have a small bit with a tip diameter of .001

I use it for name plates in laminated plastic.

How small is small?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

I have some .5mm bits and smaller. The software will accept them, but good luck cutting anything with a .5mm bit without it snapping in half.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Mikehell wrote:I have some .5mm bits and smaller. The software will accept them, but good luck cutting anything with a .5mm bit without it snapping in half.
I have bits smaller than that & a lot is down to the quality of the bits, the settings used & how rigid your machine is. I have snapped them but usually because I was trying to push them to hard.

What I tend to use the most though if I am using small bits are tapered ball nose bits, have them down to 0.5mm & you can get away with a lot more than you would using a straight shank bit of the same size :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

I want to try stock checkering.
If you're doing regular checkering, it's done with a 90 deg V-bit. Doesn't matter what size, as long as it come to a true point (no flat tip).

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mikehell »

martin54 wrote:
Mikehell wrote:I have some .5mm bits and smaller. The software will accept them, but good luck cutting anything with a .5mm bit without it snapping in half.
I have bits smaller than that & a lot is down to the quality of the bits, the settings used & how rigid your machine is. I have snapped them but usually because I was trying to push them to hard.

What I tend to use the most though if I am using small bits are tapered ball nose bits, have them down to 0.5mm & you can get away with a lot more than you would using a straight shank bit of the same size :lol: :lol: :lol:
Taperd bits that come to a point are a whole other ballgame. Trying to use a 1/8 shank.4mn Kyocera bit without being super duper careful will snap a bit. I pretty much end up not using anything smaller than 2mm, typically I won't go smaller than 3mm or 1/8.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

I haven't come across tapered bits that come to a true point only ball nose. The engraving bits I have that come to a point came with the machine & are either 6mm or 1/4" shank.
I thought that checkering had a flat bottom which was why I had suggested using an engraving bit with a flat tip, Mike-S who has a lot more experience than me put me right on that one :oops:
As I have said before I am probably way to conservative with my feed settings which is maybe why I haven't broken the tips off more bits but the machine plays a big part as well, especially with small bits, when was the last time you checked the run out on your spindle ? Even with a rigid machine to much run out will break bits :lol:

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mikehell »

martin54 wrote:I haven't come across tapered bits that come to a true point only ball nose. The engraving bits I have that come to a point came with the machine & are either 6mm or 1/4" shank.
I thought that checkering had a flat bottom which was why I had suggested using an engraving bit with a flat tip, Mike-S who has a lot more experience than me put me right on that one :oops:
As I have said before I am probably way to conservative with my feed settings which is maybe why I haven't broken the tips off more bits but the machine plays a big part as well, especially with small bits, when was the last time you checked the run out on your spindle ? Even with a rigid machine to much run out will break bits :lol:

Ok, so a tapered bit is technically a ball nose. But if it's a ball nose that tapers down to a .5mm ball, I consider it a point anyway. :)

My first "beginner" CNC was a China 3040 so I purchased a bunch of tiny 1/8 bits for it. Still use a bunch if 'em on the ShopBot

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

anyducks wrote:I want to try stock checkering.
If you're doing checkering with a 3-axis machine on anything that's not flat you're going have inconsistent width "lines" unless you correct for curvature.

Perhaps a manual checking tool would be the way to go? Pretty satisfying watching the pattern take shape.