Vcarve Pro Version 9

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Goozler
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Asteroid

Vcarve Pro Version 9

Post by Goozler »

I have Vcarve Pro 8.5 and thinking about upgrading to version 9. Will Vcarve Pro 9 print to scale?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Vcarve Pro Version 9

Post by adze_cnc »

Yes and no. Specify a paper size bigger than your vectors, print as PDF, and you get a printout to scale. Specify a paper size smaller and you don't.

You can always export the vectors to something that another program, such as Illustrator, understands and print from there.

You're not the first to ask to print to scale in these boards. I'm always baffled as to why a program for creating toolpaths to run on cutting machines should be used to do something that a CAD or design program, such as AutoCAD or Illustrator, is more suited to do.

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

adze_cnc wrote: You're not the first to ask to print to scale in these boards. I'm always baffled as to why a program for creating toolpaths to run on cutting machines should be used to do something that a CAD or design program, such as AutoCAD or Illustrator, is more suited to do.
Because V-Carve is a great little program for drawing vectors. Personally, I sketch up a lot of vector drawings for a local metalworker, which he then either cuts on his CNC plasma table or sends off to be water-jet cut. Some of it is mundane stuff (not artsy), like copying exhaust flanges. I turn to V-carve because I know it, and can get the job done fast.

Sometimes it is nice to print out the vector to give it the 'ol Mark I eyeball test, which can be a pain to do. I'm going to have to try your paper size trick on 8.5.
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

You could always put a pencil in your spindle and plot it.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Rethinking this I wonder if exporting the vectors to PDF and then printing the PDF using Adobe Acrobat Reader using a tiling option would be a way to do this?