Centering a point offset to the center of another object

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
dme2637
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Self built from plans

Centering a point offset to the center of another object

Post by dme2637 »

I'm attempting to center an offset point of an object in the center of a circle. Is there an easy accurate way of doing this or should it be done by trial and error. In the file you can see the object with cross hairs. The cross hair is what I'm attempting to center into circles. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Attachments
Charger door panel.crv
(84.5 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Centering a point offset to the center of another object

Post by FixitMike »

Draw a circle, with its center at the cross hairs, and large enough to go around everything you want centered.

edit: Group the objects along with the large circle.

Select the grouped objects. Then shift select the circle you want to align the objects with. Then use the Align Selected Objects and the Align to selected method to center. Ungroup the objects. Delete the large circle.

If you don't group the objects, each individual object will be moved separately to be centered on the selected circle. Interesting.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Centering a point offset to the center of another object

Post by Adrian »

I'd delete the cross hairs. Then select the rest of the shape and group it. Select the grouped shape and the circle you want to align to. Click the align inside edge left tool in the Alignment tools followed by the align vertically tool.

You could also group, turn on Geometry snapping and move the grouped vectors to the circle by hand. They will snap once the centres are aligned.