VCarve roughing strategy?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

VCarve roughing strategy?

Post by GEdward »

While working with Photo VCarve on an acrylic project I entered .035 inch for the pass depth in the tool data base for the tool I was using in order to avoid melting the acrylic and generally gumming things up. The total depth of cut was .105 inch so it required 3 passes. Then when I ran the project I find that Photo VCarve generated the tool path to cut each line complete before stepping over to the next line. The process was surprisingly quick because the tool worked each region to completion before advancing within the current line; machining only in areas that needed it and passing over areas that were already complete.

The 3D raster roughing strategy in VCarve passes over the entire project one pass depth increment in a layer by layer format. That ends up causing the tool to re-cut areas that were completed in previous passes. In other words, if the first rough pass took one hour then every rough pass will take one hour even if only one small area within the project needs any material removed in subsequent passes. The Photo VCarve strategy only spends time in the areas that need additional machining.

Is there any chance of improving the 3D raster roughing process in VCarve to perform comparably with Photo VCarve?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: VCarve roughing strategy?

Post by adze_cnc »

The "Roughing Strategy" does have more than one option...

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Re: VCarve roughing strategy?

Post by GEdward »

Yes, there are two; Z level and 3D raster. For fine detail work that requires very small diameter tools to finish I find Z level to leave far to much material to be removed for me to be comfortable with. 3D raster does a very good job of maximizing material removal and leaving a semi-finished surface that is easy to work with.

It is just slower than it needs to be.