Saving files

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
cusoak
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3D XXL

Saving files

Post by cusoak »

Good Morning.
I have just gone through having to buy and reinstall everything on a new laptop.
So After looking at the way I saved design files' I thought I would ask for some suggestions on a good way to keep them all in one place.
So what I would like to do is have 1 place that every time I saved a file it would automatically go into that folder.(Named Vectric files) Not sure if that is possible.
If it is then in side that folder I would have a folder that would have everything needed to run that file.
I hope this is possible, Or some one has a great way of saving files.
And Also Happy New year.
Thanks Jeff

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Saving files

Post by Adrian »

You can't set default save locations within VCarve. The file will basically be saved to wherever you did the last save operation whether it's an export, save, toolpath save etc. There have been a few requests to change that behaviour so hopefully it's something we'll see in future versions.

A workaround is to use the features of Windows that allow you to have Quick Access links on the left hand side of the Open/Save dialogs. I have mine like that so I can quickly go to a pre-defined location and save there.

Saving toolpaths is a bit more flexible as there is a way to bypass the save dialog entirely and have it always save to the same location. That's how I have mine setup but it does require knowledge of gadgets etc.

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

Ok thanks
Not quite sure I understand that but I will play around and figure it out.
So when I click save as in vectric then open quick access that is where I will create a file for the jobs. Is that what you are talking about.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

It's just links to folders. When you Save in VCarve (or any Windows program) you choose where you want the file to be saved. If you click on a folder at that point it will take you into that folder. If you click on a file rather than a folder it will save to that file name instead.

VCarve doesn't behave differently to other Windows programs so whatever you do in other programs to save files should work fine.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

In Windows explorer, create a folder where you want to save your V Carve design files. Right Click on it, and select "Pin to Quick Access".

Then when you save the job, the folder will be in the Quick Access folders on the left side of the Save dialog window, so you just have to click on it.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

Great that all help me get better organized
Thanks to you both Jeff

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Just to throw spanner in the works, if you just have one folder for all your vectric files then over time you could end up with a folder that has so many different jobs in it that you can never find the file you are looking for if you need or want to access it in the future :lol: :lol:

People have different ways of saving or naming files that work for them so if you are going to put all your jobs in one folder then maybe you have a way of naming files that works well for you, it certainly wouldn't work for me :lol: :lol:

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

I prefer to create a folder for each individual project. I name the folder whatever the project’s name is. For example, You’ve Captured My Heart folder name. Within that folder, I’ll have sub-folders such as “Aspire Files”, “Vector Files”, “3D Models”, “SB Toolpaths”

ALL pertinent files for a particular project are contained within its project folder and sub-folders. Saves a ton of time, because I have EVERYTHING I may need in a future re-visit and is easily located (and organized) for each project.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

mtylerfl wrote:I prefer to create a folder for each individual project. I name the folder whatever the project’s name is. For example, You’ve Captured My Heart folder name. Within that folder, I’ll have sub-folders such as “Aspire Files”, “Vector Files”, “3D Models”, “SB Toolpaths”

ALL pertinent files for a particular project are contained within its project folder and sub-folders. Saves a ton of time, because I have EVERYTHING I may need in a future re-visit and is easily located (and organized) for each project.
+1
John
Maker of Chips

Mirion
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Buddy

Post by Mirion »

+2 This ^^^^

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

That is what I do all ready, I was hoping there was some way to , when I used save as, a folder would opened that I had already created that said maybe Vectric files and inside of that is where I would create my named job folders.
But I guess that can't be done

Gasawdust
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AVID 48x48

Post by Gasawdust »

+3 to Michael but saved to an external USB connected hard drive that I keep connected to my Surface Pro tablet that runs Aspire.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

+4 to Michael My saving files is very similar to Michael's (very organized) all files for a particular project located in the same place for easy re-visit.

with an addition "Next Wave Free Projects" , "Vectric Free Projects", "Woodworkers Journal Free Projects" , etc...

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

My system is quite long winded & is not something that could be used for speed but ith my memory simply saving everything in its own folder would never work for me so I have a lot more sub folders than others.
Everything is in one main folder called vectric8, mainly because when I set this computer up that was the version I was using, the title isn't 100% correct because it contains files & folders from Vcarve 7 & 7.5 hich was what I was using prior to V8. That folder is then split into job types so contains folders for different types of job, Edge lit, plates, wooden boxes, special occassions, misc, etc etc, if I start something that needs a new heading then I add a new folder, some of those have additional sub folders to further split things up like special occassions is split into the various events, Valentines day, easter etc etc.
Those folders then have the main project folders so Michaels example for the "You've captured my heart" project would be under, vectric8-special occassions-valentines day.

Like I said long winded but works for me, I set things up that way because when I started as a signmaker I set up a similar system for my vinyl work starting with the software name, then the main type of sign, then any sub sections of that sign type & then the customer name. That had been working well for me for years so it seemed like a good idea to do the same.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

cusoak wrote:That is what I do all ready, I was hoping there was some way to , when I used save as, a folder would opened that I had already created that said maybe Vectric files and inside of that is where I would create my named job folders.
But I guess that can't be done
If you save a CRV file to Vectric Files/Project 001 (for example) then the next time you go to save a CRV file, export a vector, save a toolpath etc then it will default to Vectric Files/Project 001. It's a couple of clicks to move up a level and create a new folder at that level for the next project presuming you haven't created it beforehand.

Where thing start to get tricky is if you want to save toolpaths to network drives, export bitmaps to other folders, load a file from the Downloads folder etc etc as all of those will reset the working folder location. That's where the quick access that I mentioned comes in handy as you then have one click access to get back to your Vectric Files location from any open/save dialog.