VCarve inlays and flat depth

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro

Re: VCarve inlays and flat depth

Postby edwardharp » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:05 pm

scottp55 wrote:Not seeing why VCarving with an engraving bit isn't working...been doing it for quite some time(and as recently as today with a .025"flat).
Using VCP9 now...but it worked in 8.
scott

I am going to have to try it again. Maybe they fixed it in intervening versions? Last I tried it was at least two years ago I would say.

I mostly work in wood these days and those cutters don't have a flat depth.

Thanks!
edwardharp
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: Tormach PCNC 1100

Postby edwardharp » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:08 pm

ger21 wrote:
edwardharp wrote:It all depends on the size of the inlays, the grain of the wood, the species of the wood, etc. And the limitations of the machine for that matter. I use a CNC milling machine because I also do metal and other materials and there is a limit to how fast I can spin the V cutter.

Can you mount an auxiliary high speed spindle to your machine?
That's really the problem here. With a high speed spindle, you probably wouldn't be having the issues that you are.

I can actually. There are a few options. And I am thinking about upgrading my machine to one that is 50% faster.

Considering how many of these inlays I am doing I should at least try a companion spindle. Those can do 20,000 RPM. But ugh are they loud!

The worst problem will be that changing tools will mean different offsets. I wont be able to mount end mills on the companion spindle. There is also a water cooled main spindle but it would interfere with my metal work.

Good suggestion though. Thanks.
edwardharp
Vectric Apprentice

Postby edwardharp » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:19 pm

ger21 wrote:
edwardharp wrote:It all depends on the size of the inlays, the grain of the wood, the species of the wood, etc. And the limitations of the machine for that matter. I use a CNC milling machine because I also do metal and other materials and there is a limit to how fast I can spin the V cutter.

Can you mount an auxiliary high speed spindle to your machine?
That's really the problem here. With a high speed spindle, you probably wouldn't be having the issues that you are.

Any idea how fast a spindle I would need? Would 10,000 RPM be fast enough?
edwardharp
Vectric Apprentice

Postby BDM » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:50 pm

edwardharp wrote:
I can actually. There are a few options. And I am thinking about upgrading my machine to one that is 50% faster.

Considering how many of these inlays I am doing I should at least try a companion spindle. Those can do 20,000 RPM. But ugh are they loud!

The worst problem will be that changing tools will mean different offsets. I wont be able to mount end mills on the companion spindle. There is also a water cooled main spindle but it would interfere with my metal work.

Good suggestion though. Thanks.

I don't have a vast experience with different spindles, but they certainly don't have to be loud. The air cooled one our school has is so quiet that the first time I used it, I had to look closely at the collet to see that it actually was spinning. Why wouldn't you be able to use an end mill on a companion spindle?
BDM
Vectric Craftsman

Postby Adrian » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:41 pm

My spindle runs at up to 18000 rpm and you can have a normal conversation right by it at that speed. If it's really loud I expect it's a router masquerading as a spindle. ;)
Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Postby edwardharp » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:31 am

I ended up trying a Kress companion spindle capable of 29,000 RPM. Reasonably quiet.

First few attempts did not turn out as well as I hoped. I will try messing with feeds and see if I can coax it into behave better.

I am also crunching away at how all this works and how I might accomplish this without the start depth thing so that I can control cut depth.
edwardharp
Vectric Apprentice

Postby potzmannwoodshop » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:56 pm

Adrian wrote:My spindle runs at up to 18000 rpm and you can have a normal conversation right by it at that speed. If it's really loud I expect it's a router masquerading as a spindle. ;)

Mine turns at 18k too, and a conversation isnt easy while is it running. 3phase 10hp Air Cooled Industrial spindle with Yaskawa drives.
potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: 2 SCM Routech Record 120s(1999, 2001)

Postby Woodwasp » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:37 am

My way of handling this issue is to write 2 tool paths for the male inlay one with a shallow cut to remove the bulk above the start depth, then a second cut at the start depth which removes only a small amount of material. Save both tool paths in the one file being very careful to get them in the right order. When you send the g-code to your machine it will cut one after the other, Yes this take a little longer but we are striving for successful fine detail not speed. I find this method tends to eliminate chip out and results in fine inlay detail.
Woodwasp

Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve

Previous

Return to VCarve - General