Feathered effect applied to component? M.TYLER will know ;)

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Ton80
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3XXL / Carvewright RevB

Feathered effect applied to component? M.TYLER will know ;)

Post by Ton80 »

Hi Mike.. I would have messaged you but I don't have that ability here yet..

I am wondering if there are any equals to FEATHERING and DRAFTING ( CW Designer features ) here in V Carve Pro

Here is a visual for those that never used Designer from Carvewright. ( it's proprietary so you would not ever use it unless you use their machine )

This is a model that I carved with the CW machine. Here is a screen as it would carve using no Feathering - this is also how it would look if I just imported the model to V Carve Pro - the vertical wall very pronounced where the edge of the model starts.
no edge feathering
no edge feathering
This is a screenshot with a .25in feathering effect added using the CW software. I haven't figured out how to do this with VCarve yet.. does this have to be built into a model?
feathered edge applied to model boundary
feathered edge applied to model boundary

There is a similar feature in the CW software that is meant for easing the vertical walls on something like text that is raster carved ( or pocketed text/designs in VCarve ) -

Here is some text that would be raster carved within the CW software but in VCarve this would likely be compared to pocketed text?
example with no draft effect
example with no draft effect
The thinner sections of these letters could be subject to chipping. Assuming that I have to have the height shown above but I would normally try and avoid this.

If it can't be avoided then I want to find a way to add this DRAFTING effect that is available in the CW software... is there anything compareble in the VCarve Pro software?
drafting effect to ease the vertical wall of a pocket
drafting effect to ease the vertical wall of a pocket
You can see that this eased the edge of that vertical wall but the CW software/ machine carves text as a raster element and now that I have typed this out, I am thinking there is no way to achieve this in VCarve since text carved via pocketing out the surrounding wood is a completely different process.

~John

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Feathered effect applied to component? M.TYLER will kno

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Try adding draft to the pattern after it's imported into the Carvewright Designer software. VCarve/Aspire has a lot more control and flexability and the same thing can be achieved but it will take a few more steps.
Steve

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Feathered effect applied to component? M.TYLER will kno

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I think I misunderstood your objective. In this example I offset the text outward and applied a v-bit using a profile toolpath. There may be other ways like using a prism tool path.
Attachments
Example.png
Steve