Rotary Carving

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
nikonwalker
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Asteroid

Rotary Carving

Post by nikonwalker »

Hi Guys
I have only just mastered the Rotary to mill a square stock down to a round piece.
My next attempt was to VCarve some text onto it .
It carved beautifully but all letters were in reverse, I made changes a couple of times but ended up with the same result, I am totally confused now as what I see on the screen before I save the toolpath looks like it should.
I am assuming I am doing something wrong or a wrong command in the postprocesor file.
Hoping you can direct me into the right direction
Regards
Terry

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Rotary Carving

Post by Rcnewcomb »

You can either change it in the post processor or on your hardware, or perhaps in your control software.

We need more information on your setup and your comfort with making hardware or software changes.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Terry...
Your rotary axis is turning in the wrong direction. With the power off, find the drive terminals for the rotary axis. This will be where the wires from the rotary axis motor connect and they are usually marked A+, A-, B+ & B-. Swap B+ and B-. You should be good to go.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

nikonwalker

Post by nikonwalker »

Hi Gary

Thanks for that advice, but Probotix dosent label them as you mentioned, they are colour coded , green and black on one side and red and black on the other.
I bought the rotary with the machine , not fitted , just as an accessory , would you not think it was wired up to go......?
Terry

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Prior to me even putting it on the machine or calculating toolpaths, I had the problem of the text in reverse, so yesterday I sent an email to Vectric Support. Since it is a weekend, I don't expect an answer until Monday.

I have the latest version of Aspire and just checked, and shows I have the latest update. It’s been a while since I’ve done a wrap job, but I think there may be a bug.

When I import a 3D model, it comes in okay, and notice the print “U.S. Army” (see image one):

However after I accept and unwrap it, notice the print is mirrored. I tried reversing it from top to bottom and also flipped it where the print is on the bottom. (image two).

If I delete the model and import it again, it seems to double the size (image three). If I exit the program and redo the wrap job setup, it will come in again normal size, but still mirrored.

Because I modeled this in Rhino, I mirrored the print and brought it back into Aspire and this time the print was correct. The problem is, I don’t always use my own models, I would like to see if this could be corrected. Thanks
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG

nikonwalker

Post by nikonwalker »

Hi

At last all is working well,

I changed ROTARY_WRAP_X= "-A"
to show A in the postprocessor

but what I cant get my head around is selecting where to engrave on the rotary surface, I can set the XYZ origins, but how do I set the A origin, at the moment the machine just spins the rotary and starts engraving.
I am finding CNC a huge learning curve but an interesting one.
Regards
Terry