Vector Boundary around component to create 'pocket'

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Ton80
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3XXL / Carvewright RevB

Vector Boundary around component to create 'pocket'

Post by Ton80 »

Before I post my problem file, I just want to make sure I am understanding the purpose of selecting a vector around a component and then using it as the model boundary. This is essentially to create a pocket around your model that is carved down to the same max Z depth of the model but your component is not effected by this boundary... right?

I've got a particular component that I imported which is fighting me. Any vectors I place around it by any of the available methods are not carving down into my material but rather the toolpaths that extend out to the vector boundary are having a Z depth of cut at ZERO. The project is for a local owner of an AFLAC office so it contains the Aflac logo.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Vector Boundary around component to create 'pocket'

Post by Adrian »

The vector boundary is used to limit the extent to which the 3D toolpath will process. It's not to create pocket around the model in the sense that the word pocket is usually used in CNC terms.

What you're describing sounds like correct behaviour to me. You would need to create additional components or a true pocket toolpath to sink the existing component into.

AlanAndrews
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ELU860

Post by AlanAndrews »

Thanks Adrian

You have answered a question in my mind, after looking at 3D model and toolpaths at the weekend.

Slightly deviating....What tools do people use to amend a .stl file please?

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ton80 »

Ok. Here are some screenshots for the project I am currently working on. I placed a vector shape ( oval ) around the duck and set this vector as the model boundary when setting my toolpath. The intended use was to create the carved pocket around the duck and give the component some 'space' so it looks better.
Wrong terminology maybe/probably but it should help clear up what I mean to say.
duck w vector boundary 2d.PNG
duck w vector boundary 3d.PNG
Is achieving this type of look with the pocketed oval ( wrong terminology... ? ) a reason to select a vector boundary around the component? It's worked this way on several jobs I have already run and I thought this was the way the vector boundary feature works.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

If you want to set a certain depth outside of the duck within the confines of the oval you will need to add a model vector boundary around the duck (if in fact the duck is a model). Then when creating the pocket tool path select this model vector boundary and the oval vector specify the depth you want then any other necessary adjustments then click calculate.

When you run the pocket tool path a pocket will be created between the duck boundary vector and the oval vector.

I used the model depth noted in the material setup for the depth of pocket.
screenshot 1.jpg
screenshot 2.jpg
screenshot 3.jpg
Hope this helps you!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.005

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Pictures always help so often a good idea to post a couple of screen shots with your initial question :lol: :lol:

From your initial post like Adrian I thought you were creating a boundary just around the edge of the model & from that assumption Adrians answer is 100% correct. If you had added the screenshots his answer would have been a little different.

What you are doing is not wrong it will carve OK & I am sure that is how some people will do it but it isn't really that efficient as the time to carve all of that oval & the duck will be quite long. A more efficient & time saving way would be how sharkcutup has described. This will also give you a better finish on the area around the duck as you will be able to pocket with a flat bottom bit rather than a ball nose.

Hope that helps :lol: :lol:

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ton80 »

Yes... thank you all for the help and I need to include files when I have an issue. Following the method that Sharkcutup explained is giving me the results I wanted.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Ton80,

Glad we here on this forum have been able to help you. Please feel free ask your questions anytime!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.005