Joining vectors

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Rubiconlwb
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL

Joining vectors

Post by Rubiconlwb »

Often, when I am creating a project I make a selection and click on the 'Join-joint open vectors' button. Sometimes it shows the number of vectors still open with 'Join' and 'Close' buttons at the bottom. I click the 'Join' button and all is well but sometimes when I do this same procedure, I am shown there are open vectors but the 'Join' button is dimmed so I cannot join the open vectors. I have found nothing that will make the button active again so I am unable to join the open vectors and therefore cannot create a toolpath. Any idea what I am doing wrong or what I can do to make the 'Join' button active again?

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Re: Joining vectors

Post by tomgardiner »

There is a tolerance associated with the join feature. If your vectors are not within that tolerance then they will not join. Typically you may have a tolerance of .005". You can increase your tolerance value to see if this will do the trick.
There are other tools to join offending vectors within Edit Objects menu on the bottom row.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

I have found this happening to me too but I found out what was causing this problem. There was in fact open vectors that were either too far away from each other or the bypassed each other. so the program was evidently confused as to how the vectors were to be joined. I had to zoom in a make adjustments to the vectors getting them close to where I wanted them.

I then selected all vectors right clicked selected 'Select All Open Vectors'. Then I would right click with those open vectors selected and select 'Join/Close Vectors - Move end points. I will give a warning of caution on this to check the open vectors and make sure they are close to where you want them to join and then check them after especially because sometimes you may not get the proper join you were looking for (such as a loop, twist, or other abnormal joined vector).

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

jonnylbluejeans
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve 1000mm

Post by jonnylbluejeans »

More often than not, I wind up joining them manually.