Is it possible to view my cutting table?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Is it possible to view my cutting table?

Post by Mikehell »

Maybe it's there and I'm missing something, or maybe this is a new feature request

I'd like to be able to create a workpiece, and then view it on my cutting table surface. For example, let's say have a 24"x24"x.75 peiece I'm going to cut, and I have anchors to bolt things down in the table at different locations. I'd like to see my table, then be able to place my piece where it will go on the table and see where to drill hold down holes.

Currently, the only way I can manage to do this is to make a DXF of my table grid with anchor positions, and then import that over the top of my piece. It works, but is a pain, and rather clumsy.

davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMMaster Stinger II

Re: Is it possible to view my cutting table?

Post by davemartin88 »

Could you make a template file that includes your table detail on a layer that you could turn off and on as needed.

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mikehell »

Not really. I mean I can import my table layout as a DXF, then import it in and put it on a separate layer (exactly what I'm doing now) but it's klunky, at best. You have to move the "table" under the piece instead of being able to put the piece on the table.

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

Why not just include the drill holes in your drawing, then use a toolpath for just the drill holes??
you can run that toolpath first and put the piece on the table that way. So you can put the piece anywhere you want without needing to "see" the table in your drawing.

davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMMaster Stinger II

Post by davemartin88 »

I was thinking that you would have your table on a layer in the template, then open the template to create your job and the table will already be there to turn on and off as needed. You can always use the template to start a job- I may be missing how a template can work, good luck.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Not sure what you mean by having to "move" the table under the piece.

I would do as Dave suggests and create a template. Start a new job, import your DXF table layout, move it to a layer called, for example, Table_Layout and make it a different colour and then lock it so it can't be selected or moved as part of normal operations. Then save the file as whatever name you want. Now when you want to start a new job you would load that template instead of Create a New File in VCarve. To make sure you don't accidentally overwrite it you can set it to be read only in Windows.

I make a lot of use of templates and only really start a new job when I'm experimenting for others rather than doing my own work.

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mikehell »

Frunple wrote:Why not just include the drill holes in your drawing, then use a toolpath for just the drill holes??
you can run that toolpath first and put the piece on the table that way. So you can put the piece anywhere you want without needing to "see" the table in your drawing.
That's pretty much exactly what I'm doing. The reasoning for wanting to put a workpiece over a "template" is so I know where to have the drillpath drill the holes. The anchors are placed kind of weird on the table. Trying to figure out an EASY way to show where to drill the holes so other people will actually use them, instead of constantly nailing work to the table with those annoying plastic nails.

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mikehell »

Adrian wrote:Not sure what you mean by having to "move" the table under the piece.

I would do as Dave suggests and create a template. Start a new job, import your DXF table layout, move it to a layer called, for example, Table_Layout and make it a different colour and then lock it so it can't be selected or moved as part of normal operations. Then save the file as whatever name you want. Now when you want to start a new job you would load that template instead of Create a New File in VCarve. To make sure you don't accidentally overwrite it you can set it to be read only in Windows.

I make a lot of use of templates and only really start a new job when I'm experimenting for others rather than doing my own work.

So, I take a random size work piece, import my dxf, move and lock, then save. Then open this instead of a new workpiece and then either the workpiece to what size I'm using? Probably better than what I'm doing, but still seems like a workaround. Unless I'm just missing something.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

table layout.jpg
I have used that same type of setup in the past and it worked very well for my Extended Table CNC.

The Vectric V-Carve program does not have a list of various table sizes, clamp positions, etc... to choose from therefore I had created what is expressed here at this forum.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

I use LinuxCNC to run my CNC, and it has an excellent dynamic 3D view of the toolpaths once loaded into it. Once I've clamped my board down and set the X/Y/Z home positions I can jog my CNC around, watch the screen as it moves over the toolpath drawing, and verify that it won't hit a clamp before I actually run it.

If your control software has even a plan view of the toolpath, and shows where the bit is relative to the toolpaths, then you should be able to do the same.

4D

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Mikehell wrote: So, I take a random size work piece, import my dxf, move and lock, then save. Then open this instead of a new workpiece and then either the workpiece to what size I'm using? Probably better than what I'm doing, but still seems like a workaround. Unless I'm just missing something.
It's not really a workaround. How else could it work with the myriad of different setups users have?

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mikehell »

Adrian wrote:
Mikehell wrote: So, I take a random size work piece, import my dxf, move and lock, then save. Then open this instead of a new workpiece and then either the workpiece to what size I'm using? Probably better than what I'm doing, but still seems like a workaround. Unless I'm just missing something.
It's not really a workaround. How else could it work with the myriad of different setups users have?

Perhaps the same way it works on just about any drawing or 3d program I've used. You typically have a surface and then okave an object on that surface. How would it work? You would setup your table size first.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

I'm obviously missing something here as I don't see the difference.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

Mike - I'm confused as well.

I think you got things backward in your last post. I think what Adrian is suggesting is that you create a file with the work area the size of your table, and create (either through DXF import or directly in VCarve Pro) the fixtures/holddowns, etc that you have for your table. Move this to a layer and lock it, then save the file. Make it read only. Then, when you create a new part, you open this file FIRST, then create your new part(s) in this file. Then save it with a new name. You always START with this file, and place your new items on the surface, as you seem to be suggesting you do in other programs. That way the table layout is always available when you create your part and there's no more importing.

This seems to give you exactly what you're asking for and doesn't introduce any additional steps. What are we missing?
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mikehell »

dealguy11 wrote:Mike - I'm confused as well.

I think you got things backward in your last post. I think what Adrian is suggesting is that you create a file with the work area the size of your table, and create (either through DXF import or directly in VCarve Pro) the fixtures/holddowns, etc that you have for your table. Move this to a layer and lock it, then save the file. Make it read only. Then, when you create a new part, you open this file FIRST, then create your new part(s) in this file. Then save it with a new name. You always START with this file, and place your new items on the surface, as you seem to be suggesting you do in other programs. That way the table layout is always available when you create your part and there's no more importing.

This seems to give you exactly what you're asking for and doesn't introduce any additional steps. What are we missing?
I'm probably not describing the issue very well. Let's say I open the software and enter in 96" x 48" x .25" for the material size, then draw all the anchor points, etc. then move to a new layer, lock it, etc. Yeah, I got that part, done that much already.

Now, let's say I want to cut some parts from a piece that's 22" x 48" x .703". I open above "template". I will now need to go reset the size of my material to 22x48x.703. My material will now be positioned in the lower left corner of my template. That works for many situations. But let's say I want to position my piece somewhere other than the lower left corner ether because it'll hit anchor points in better spots, or perhaps the table has a better spot towards the center where the table is more level and the spoilboard currently not hacked up as much. I can't pick up my piece and move it, I have to go to the "template layer" unlock it, Make sure it's all grouped together, them move the template over the piece.

Here's the odd part... I'm using a Shopbot. Their software, although somewhat flakey, can show me where my piece is on my worktable. I have a big suspicion that their control software was either made by Vectric, or is using parts of the Vectric engine. Layout is the exact same, graphics are the exact same.