Engraving stamps (steel)

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Walpres
Model of CNC Machine: XYZ smx 3500

Engraving stamps (steel)

Post by Walpres »

I have just started using VCarve software, most of the work I do is producing small marking stamps for the automotive industry (company badges, part numbers, date codes etc) all in High carbon tool steel .

My first attempt has gone reasonably well, found a couple of ways to get a finished part, finished up using the VCarve toolpaths.

My question is : is that the best toolpath to use ?
Attachments
stamp.crv
(2.05 MiB) Downloaded 159 times

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Re: Engraving stamps (steel)

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Welcome to the forum.

Before answering your question, I have another one. Your material is 58x20 mm and is obviously smaller than your part, as you used a workaround to make toolpaths cut outside its borders.

Why? Do you have a specific issue?
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I've never done ones in metal but I did go through a stage a few years back of making many hardwood stamps and the VCarve toolpath as you're using was best as it gave the most support to the working face of the stamp.

Like LGM I'm curious why the material/toolpaths are setup the way they are.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

LittleGreyMan wrote:Your material is 58x20 mm and is obviously smaller than your part, as you used a workaround to make toolpaths cut outside its borders.
I'm not sure I understand the "obviously smaller than your part". What is this part you speak of? Perhaps his part is 58x20 mm x 77.3mm high?

I see can cutting in the air for a portion of it to: a) to avoid "horns" at the four corners and an "inside" chamfer as artefacts of the v-bit; b) to allow the rough cutter to go around the "Land Rover" logotype' ellipse rather than wasting time doing so with the v-bit .

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Steven,

You're right, this may be an explanation especially for a). But the external limit seems much bigger than required. Er… after resizing to scale 1 on screen, "much bigger" looks very small :D

Never had this case. Except deleting by hand the code I see no way of eliminating the unwanted external V-carve toolpath.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Walpres

Post by Walpres »

Thanks for the replies .

You are spot on material size is my block, I do not want a border around it (only the letters and badge are raised) so i did the work around to cut as much as possible with the flat endmill. Yes its cutting fresh air but but it's still faster than clearing parts with a Vbit.

It would be nice top be able to cut from the outside and work inwards though, this would reduce cutter wear and speed things up too.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Thanks for your comments.

Provided your speeds and feeds are OK, I agree with Adrian you choose the right toolpaths. You also used ramps, which is very important with your material.

If I'm not mistaken, the 2 Vcarve toolpaths use the same Vbit parameter. So using a single toolpath with flat area clearance tool and selecting all vectors seems OK.

Your spindle speed is set to 0. When I use a machine with a manual speed setting, I fill this field for documentation purposes. Only makes sense if you keep the file, of course.

Yes, some toolpath could have more parameters. Some CAM provide them, but generally in a much higher price range.

Send your feature requests directly to Vectric support, as this is a user list.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Walpres

Post by Walpres »

Thanks , spindle speed is set to zero for the the v'bit as i use an Air turbine which runs at 40,000 rpm but the machines spindle must remain stationary. My machine can only run at 5000 rpm max.

CAD/CAM system I use is a lot more efficient when it comes to the tool paths however it has limitations when it comes to manipulating the drawings and highlighting problems.

VCarve has made the design process faster and more straightforward so have to live with the toolpath issues for now :D

Walpres

Post by Walpres »

One other problem i have noticed with this toolpath is the burr tha is left from the end mill to the v bit. Due to the toolpath flowing the profile and working its way out to clear whats left . Could really do with it working its way in to get a better finish and use a deeper cut