Lithophane illumination

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
FrankL
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ HHC Router

Lithophane illumination

Post by FrankL »

My name is Frank and I'm a first time Forum user. I would like to pick some brains. The accompanying Pic will be a Christmas wreath of family Lithophanes. The LEDS that I chose have hot and cool illuminations. Can anybody advise me as to how to achieve uniform illumination across a 2.70" diameter lithophane? Should I be trying to use a translucent diffuser material? And what kind of LEDS would one choose? Also the final design will be the PIC plus additional wooden Christmas ball like surroundings. If this is not enough dimensional information { will add whatever is necessary. Thank you very much!!
Attachments
IMG_0525.jpg

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: Lithophane illumination

Post by Xxray »

Can be very tough to achieve uniform illumination, especially if they are stand alone lithos without some type of enclosure.

Diffuser film can help but from my experience, cannot eliminate or even greatly reduce hot spots.
The best way I have found is to use the LED strip [rather than 1 bright bulb] around the edges, but once again, you would need to make backing enclosures to go this route.
Would not be too difficult, I would think you could even buy some thin metal [or PVC] rings of sorts [or cut your own out of a tube], glue them on the back and run the LED strip on the inside. Probably be best to enclose it with a backing, you would end up generally with a hollow hockey puck shape perhaps 1.5" thick at the most..

Some have used LED pads, not sure exactly what they are called but they offer uniform backlighting - Downsides is they are expensive and limited size options.
Doug

FrankL

Post by FrankL »

Xray: Thank you for the response! Are you suggesting that the LEDS should be mounted perpendicularly, in a circle, to the LEDS in this enclosure? With or without diffusers?

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

The LED strip would be run along the entire inside perimeter of circle, or at least however many will fit [the strips can be cut every 3 leds so it might be 6 or 9 ect].
Then you'd have to craft a power solution, which you'd have to do anyhow.
Doug

FrankL

Post by FrankL »

Thanks for now! Good luck!!