Holding down smaller pieces

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
VE5MDH
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3

Re: Holding down smaller pieces

Post by VE5MDH »

highpockets wrote:I use CA glue and blue painters tape. It took some time for me to try it because I just didn't think it could possibly work, but it does...

I also like it better than edge claps because it holds down the material over the entire bottom surface and not just around the edges.

As a Newbie to the Sport of CNC, this idea shall be on the top tray of my tool kit! Thanks for this share, John!

Michael

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Vacuum hold down would be ideal but would require an investment that may or may not be worth while to you.

I've used double sided tape in the past with success, don't see the phobia some people have of it.
Get a similar chunk of scrap wood, try it out and see what happens.
Doug

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

VE5MDH If your fairly new then as time goes on then you will develop your own hold down methods :lol: :lol:
Lots of ways to hold small parts some as the vacuum hold down Xxray mentions require an investment, another one would be a small low profile vice. There are posts on the forum about vices with files to make them.
Like Xxray I don't see the problem with Double sided tapes, there are many different sorts on the market & some work very well, a lot depends on the type of adhesive the tape uses. I have lots of different types of double sided tape for other work I do as a signmaker so have tried a lot of different types :lol: :lol:

redwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro6

Post by redwood »

Being the paranoid guy that I am, I'm going to use both the double sided tape and the painters tape with super glue. I've used double sided tape before and for the most part it worked fine, but a couple of times there was some movement of the piece. Now those times may have been my fault, but who knows now. This is easily the smallest part that I've milled and I don't see that I have enough room to safely clamp it and not worry about something.
Mark
Pioneer, CA

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Really depends on how much bite the workpeice is subject to, double tape would not be sufficient [in most cases] for a cutout for example, but for engraving should be fine.
Doug

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

If the small parts could be held by the edge, a thin vise might be worth making. I made this one just for that reason: http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... se#p189439

4D

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

You could probably make a small jig that would hold it securely while it is engraved, something along the lines of the one Andrew Pitts shows in one of his tutorials

if you are worried about movement with any hold down method then just slow the feedrate & reduce the DOC to something you feel happier with :lol: :lol:

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

I created a couple of small hold down vises for whenever I need to carve small items/parts.
20180502_181609.jpg
Just a Thought!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.005

NormanAlbert
Vectric Wizard

Post by NormanAlbert »

For those who think hot glue might be a hold down answer, here's a tip. use Corian as a temporary spoil board ( screw it down at the corners) and hot melt your
work piece on. Corian fabricators use hot melt all the tight to make temporary clamp bars on the surface to hold 2 pieces together . A rap with a hammer sideways pops the piece right off and leaves no residue on the Corian.

cbr_speedster

Post by cbr_speedster »

My table has T-tracks to secure thin melamine plates wedged to hold small parts. You can cut the 45 deg clamping area on an angle to knife wedge the parts in. I found the smaller and tighter you make the plates the more secure the parts are. Another tip is to make T-Track blocks that slide in the track for a positive stop to bump parts against.
Attachments
Wedge.JPG
Wedge 2.JPG
Capture.JPG

newmexico
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by newmexico »

newmexico
Vectric Craftsman

Post by newmexico »

johnwayneClub.JPG

newmexico
Vectric Craftsman

Post by newmexico »

Texas.JPG

newmexico
Vectric Craftsman

Post by newmexico »

BBQ.JPG
http://www.rockler.com/auto-lock-t-track-clamp

(I could not figure out how to add multiple photos to one posting.)

cbr_speedster

Post by cbr_speedster »

Hey NewMexico,,,, Those look to be pretty useful... I haven't had my machine long so waiting to see what would be best for my application without spending money on shtuff I don't need.
Thanks for that visual..