adding a V-bit to the tool database

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
hhs99
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve 1000mm

Post by hhs99 »

Hello everyone, I am having an issue figuring how to to add a bit to the tool database. I bought a 10pk of 1/8 shank 30 Degree V-bits on amazon and it cuts great inside of easel but I hate having to use a "pro" day every time. How would I go about adding the bit? Also does anyone have an export of the common bits that inventables has by chance?

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: adding a V-bit to the tool database

Post by gkas »

Postby hhs99 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:17 pm

Hello everyone, I am having an issue figuring how to to add a bit to the tool database. I bought a 10pk of 1/8 shank 30 Degree V-bits on amazon and it cuts great inside of easel but I hate having to use a "pro" day every time. How would I go about adding the bit? Also does anyone have an export of the common bits that inventables has by chance?
hhs99

Watch the Vectric tutorial http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... e_GEN.html It explains the process. What I don't understand is, if you have Vectric software, then why EVER use Easel. Especially when you have to pay to use Easel Pro. Using Easel is like riding a tricycle with broken wheels. You may get to your destination, but you'll really have to work at it. The day I purchased Desktop is the last day I ever used Easel, and I never looked back. Desktop is very useful in overcoming the limitations of using an X-Carve.

hhs99

Post by hhs99 »

it was more to keep doing projects while I learned how to use the vcarve software. I got brave today and tried to use the zprobe and UGS and caused it to go almost completely through the board somehow. (still dont know how I managed that one all the settings appeared correct)

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I bought a 10pk of 1/8 shank 30 Degree V-bits

Do they come to a sharp point or have they got a flat at the end, most of those packs are actually engraving bits rather than v bits & the size of the flat varies.
You can enter them in the tool database as engraving bits where the set up form will ask for the size of the flat. You can also enter them as v bits BUT the software will assume that they come to a sharp point if entered as a v bit which can lead to inaccuracies in the toolpath preview, the larger the flat the larger the inaccuracy of the preview is likely to be :lol: :lol:

hhs99

Post by hhs99 »

martin54 wrote:I bought a 10pk of 1/8 shank 30 Degree V-bits

Do they come to a sharp point or have they got a flat at the end, most of those packs are actually engraving bits rather than v bits & the size of the flat varies.
You can enter them in the tool database as engraving bits where the set up form will ask for the size of the flat. You can also enter them as v bits BUT the software will assume that they come to a sharp point if entered as a v bit which can lead to inaccuracies in the toolpath preview, the larger the flat the larger the inaccuracy of the preview is likely to be :lol: :lol:

A sharp point. almost enough to draw blood if you pushed it into your finger. Here is the amazon link for the one I got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003T ... UTF8&psc=1

cbr_speedster

Post by cbr_speedster »

Keep in mind, any bit that comes to a perfect point is prone to chipping when touching off the Z length, which can defiantly throw off the cutting depth... It might be described as a point but not...

hhs99

Post by hhs99 »

cbr_speedster wrote:Keep in mind, any bit that comes to a perfect point is prone to chipping when touching off the Z length, which can defiantly throw off the cutting depth... It might be described as a point but not...
Good to know, I'm just trying to get it into the database so I can use it