Creating a new tool in Tool Database

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
aaron1869
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick 3x5

Creating a new tool in Tool Database

Post by aaron1869 »

I recently purchased Whiteside bit set 708. This is an engraving set and I would like to create them in my tool database. Bit number SC71. This is a 30 degree bit with a 1/32 flat tip. Do I enter side angle "A" as 15 degrees and flat area "F" as 1/32 or 1/64? Also I'm not able to find any information regarding chip loading so I'm not sure about feeds and speed settings. I asked Whiteside and they sent me a spreadsheet but nothing about V bits.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Creating a new tool in Tool Database

Post by martin54 »

If you are entering engraving bits then it is half the included angle so yes your 30 deg bit would be entered as 15 degrees, the flat is entered as the actual size of the flat so again in your case you are right with 1/32" :lol: :lol:

aaron1869
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick 3x5

Post by aaron1869 »

Thank you :D

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Your welcome :lol: :lol:

Can't really help with speeds & feed rates as they can be quite machine specific & if I am being honest my settings are always well on the conservative side for my machine :oops: :oops:

Best thing is really to do some experimenting of your own, don't know what control software you are using but most will allow you to alter settings on the fly so if you start a cut you can nudge up the feedrate while the machine is cutting until you reach a point you are happy with :lol: :lol:

MSchienle
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha Fx

Post by MSchienle »

Thanks for asking and responding. I just came here to check on the same SC71 bit since my first stacked text sign has some noticeable steps along the text edges. Changed the angle from 30 to 15 and will try again.
Mike Schienle
Piranha Fx