Box Creator Gadget Help

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
DanS_AK
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Box Creator Gadget Help

Post by DanS_AK »

When creating a box with the gadget, is there a way to isolate the toolpaths for each side? The material I am working with isn't big enough to cut all the sides at once as they are generated by the gadget. I want to use finger joints, not dovetails.

I have tried moving each side to a different layer, but when I do that and re-generate the toolpaths individually I lose the dogbone corners and can't figure out how to get those back.

The workaround I have been doing is to generate each side seperately, save each file by itself (bottom, ends, sides), and run with that... it works but I was hoping there was a more elegant solution.

angelkarla
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: home made

Re: Box Creator Gadget Help

Post by angelkarla »

Hi I had the same problem if you zoom in on the vectors you will notice there is the box shape and also a toolpath around it. just transfer the toolpath vector and use this one cutting on the line works fine for me.
Hope this helps
If all else fails read the instructions

DanS_AK
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by DanS_AK »

Thank you, worked perfectly :D

Now the other issue ... what does the tolerance setting do, if anything? I have tried different numbers and nothing seems to change. I have to sand or chisel a bit out of all the fingers to get a box to go together. I have measured my bits and compensated for that.

I am making progress, albeit slowly.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Looking at the code the only places the allowance seems to be used is in the dovetail sections. There was a calculation using it in the dogbone section as well but that's been disabled by commenting out. So it looks like the allowance is non-functional for the finger joints.

angelkarla
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: home made

Post by angelkarla »

Hi the other way perhaps would be adjuat the tool size up or down to get perfect joins in other words lie to the software.
This has worked for me in the past
If all else fails read the instructions