Question about importing .STL from other software

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
WildMenMFG
Model of CNC Machine: shapeoko XXL

Question about importing .STL from other software

Post by WildMenMFG »

Hello Everyone I am new to CNC Enthusiast and Vcarve Pro Noob. I apologize if this is a mundane Question I just cant figure this out.

I have created a .STL file, My intention was to Import the file into Vcarve Pro, when I do this I start a New Project set it as one sided. set up my X, Y, Z, dimensions. make the Zero Position on the Surface, and the X, Y, datum position on the lower Left, and the modeling Resolution set at 7X, press ok. and then I press the Modeling tab. and press the folder to import my .STL file or (model,] when I do the file never matches the layout in Vcarve Pro. My Model is is always in the middle of the X, Y, plane at a 90 deg angle. im not sure what i am to do to get it to work. I have tried building my model on a different angle but no matter what I try I can not get my >STL file to match the existing plane in Vcarve Pro. I tried to upload a picture. hopefully it works to illustrate my troubles.

Moderators if this is not the place to ask this question Please Delete. and I will re-repost in proper place.

Thanks in advance for any Knowledge that you can share.

WildMenMFG.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Question about importing .STL from other software

Post by highpockets »

John
Maker of Chips

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Question about importing .STL from other software

Post by adze_cnc »

Sounds like your work coördinate system (WCS) in your design software does not have the z-axis orientated as "up" or "perpendicular to the centre of the Earth".

See: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Right-Hand ... ystem.html or http://joana007007.wixsite.com/learngeo ... te-systems

I get this all the time with Solidworks models.

Steven