Importing a Guitar Shape

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Guitarzan
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko XL

Importing a Guitar Shape

Post by Guitarzan »

Greetings, first post here to the forum. Looks like I'll hanging out here a lot now. I just got a CNC last week and got Vcarve Pro a couple of days ago. I'm very new to this. I want to import a guitar shape that I have into VCarve. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be much obliged. Thanks!

AlanAndrews
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ELU860

Re: Importing a Guitar Shape

Post by AlanAndrews »

Create new model option....define size of material, origin etc. Make sure you hit ok.

Then File>>Import option.

There are a range of import options available to you depending on what you have to bring in.

If you have not defined the model dimensions first, then the import option is limited.

Guitarzan

Post by Guitarzan »

Thanks Alan, I imported a photo of a half shape template on graph paper that is 493 mm long by 160 mm wide. I used Bit map, however, despite the fact I traced the shape in black Magic marker the image hardly shows up on the bit map image. So, I've pretty much given up on that idea.

Perhaps I'll try a PDF? One other simple question. Is there a grid that I can turn off and on? I see snapping options and a dotted grid, but wondering about actually lines. Thanks!

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Have you had the opportunity to watch the video tutorials yet?

They cover the how-to for changing Bitmap visibility via the right-click Properties slider, along with tips how to trace automatically and manually.

These are common procedures that many of us use often. Well worth the time spent watching the videos.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Guitarzan

Post by Guitarzan »

mtylerfl wrote:Have you had the opportunity to watch the video tutorials yet?

They cover the how-to for changing Bitmap visibility via the right-click Properties slider, along with tips how to trace automatically and manually.

These are common procedures that many of us use often. Well worth the time spent watching the videos.
One watched a few videos on Bit map but, I go and look up some more. In your opinion is this the best way to go about this?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

If you have a Bitmap of the shape and size you like, then a manual trace of the shape would be the easiest and cleanest method. Using the excellent drawing tools and node editing, this should take just two or three minutes.

If the shape is symmetrical, you only need to trace half of it, then copy/flip/join to achieve the entire closed vector shape.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC