Which Gcode post processor?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
clayk59
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve 1000 mm

Which Gcode post processor?

Post by clayk59 »

I hate to post a new topic as I am sure the answer is here, but I have not found it with search. I am pretty new at this, using vcarve desktop, UGS, and an xcarve. I do not understand which Xcarve to select as post processor when saving paths, inches or mm.

I design in inches, but have UGS set to mm. I like the finer control when jogging the machine. I assume I use Xcarve (mm) since that is what UGS is set to use but I have had erratic results. If I use the easel post processor and import into easel, I have consistent results but would like to get away from easel. Thanks.

Clay

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Which Gcode post processor?

Post by Adrian »

As far as units go select the post processor that matches what your control software/machine is set to so in your case it's mm. The post processor will convert whatever units you use in VCarve (you can mix imperial and metric in the same job if you want) into the units needed for your control software.

The way the UGS type software works seems to be different to traditional CNC control software so I can't help you with which PP to actually use but there have been lots of posts recently from people (mainly in the Cut2D section) using the same sort of setup.

clayk59
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve 1000 mm

Post by clayk59 »

Thank you

Clay

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

You say you are using the mm post processor because of the finer control while jogging but it shouldn't make any difference what so ever. Sorry don't know the control software you use but you should be able to alter the jog settings within the control software making the inch post processor fit better with your requirements. Don't know about the x carve machines but see they have a forum so might be worth asking in there how to change the jog settings :lol: :lol: