chipping

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
KWiK
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Re: chipping

Post by KWiK »

I dropped the feed clear down to 15 ipm after the hickory still didn't turn out. Decided I would rather let it spend the time than throw out more wood. I think I started out @12K rpm, but ended up moving the slider down to somewhere between 8 and 9 to get the bit to quit screaming.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Good job. Seems you found the sweet spot for your machine and material, or at least pretty close. Yeah, the "too fast" feed was what I suspected was the biggest culprit for your chipout issue.

Depending upon material and design detail, I'll typically run my 60-deg CMT v-bit at 12K to 18k rpm, feed rate between 0.3 IPS to 0.5 IPS and pass depth 0.125" to 0.25". Always yields a clean cut (and I'll run the same Toolpath twice with NO further depth adjustment like some folks do).
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 2 SCM Routech Record 120s(1999, 2001)

Post by potzmannwoodshop »

mtylerfl wrote: Depending upon material and design detail, I'll typically run my 60-deg CMT v-bit at 12K to 18k rpm, feed rate between 0.3 IPS to 0.5 IPS and pass depth 0.125" to 0.25". Always yields a clean cut (and I'll run the same Toolpath twice with NO further depth adjustment like some folks do).
Wow! Im usually running at 250IPM and 16k spindle speed. Swap bits often and I rarely have issues unless it is a particularly brittle species.

Jozua
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: EZ-Router

Post by Jozua »

potzmannwoodshop wrote:Wow! Im usually running at 250IPM and 16k spindle speed.
WOW!!! V Carving at 250 IPM?? :shock:

I go with Michael, cutting at 40 to 60 IPM. I have done about 200 “Chip carving” projects and I have learned in wood 40 to 60 IPM produces the least chipout.

What type of wood are you cutting and what type of end mill do you use to do V Carving at 250 IPM?

I would love to cut at that speed, this will cut my V carving times by 60 %.

Joz

potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice

Jozua wrote: What type of wood are you cutting and what type of end mill do you use to do V Carving at 250 IPM?
Plywood and Cherry, Walnut or Maple, the closed Grain woods, Open grain woods such as Oak, or Ash I step down to 150ipm. I have a SCM Routech 120s I mill hardwood at about 400ipm with a 1/2" chip breaker at 1" depth of cut. 3/4" Sheet goods are milled at 350-400IPM when making cabinets.
The bed is 40"x120"

Here is a vid of the beast cutting scales for knives that go under the leather wrapping

Jozua
Vectric Wizard

Post by Jozua »

potzmannwoodshop wrote:Plywood and Cherry, Walnut or Maple, the closed Grain woods
I looked at your video but it is not the same as this.
Try this type of V carving at 250 IPM in any wood and see what happens………..
This was cut in African Rose about the same density as Cherry

Joz
Attachments
Chest - Front view.JPG

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

I'm with Michael on this one:)
Oh, and I know a lot of people SET their feeds fast for VCarving, but between accel/decelerations and slowing for tight curves....I doubt it ever gets to those speeds.
I did an example for someone in my shop a few months ago on a tiny carving... .8 IPS VS 3 IPS...saved 20 seconds on a 10 minute cut, BUT the poor little machine was jerky trying to get to speed and stopping....it translated into poorer cut quality as well.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice

Jozua wrote: This was cut in African Rose about the same density as Cherry

Joz
BUt Rosewood is open grain?
scottp55 wrote:I'm with Michael on this one:)BUT the poor little machine was jerky trying to get to speed and stopping....it translated into poorer cut quality as well.
My machine weighs 10,000lbs, it is designed to be rigid, it is accurate and precise at those speeds.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

potzmannwoodshop wrote: My machine weighs 10,000lbs, it is designed to be rigid, it is accurate and precise at those speeds.
That's great! But probably not very applicable compared to the machines most of the rest of us use.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Jozua
Vectric Wizard

Post by Jozua »

potzmannwoodshop wrote:My machine weighs 10,000lbs, it is designed to be rigid, it is accurate and precise at those speeds.
I am afraid you are missing the point. How much experience do you have about V carving in wood?
I am not trying to diminish your experience or experience But, as I said I have done more than 200 “Chip carving” projects with a variety of woods.
African Rose is a closed grain wood.
Let’s compare African Rose to some of the species that might be known to you.
Density (kg/m3)
African Rose between 820 and 900
Ash white: 640 – 850
Cherry: 650
Douglas Fir: 530
Maple: 600-750

V Carving in wood has nothing to do with the weight of your machine or the size of your spindle.
It has to do with the physical forces that the bit has to deal with at the speed or feed and the way that it interacts with the wood. No matter how “dense” the wood is, if you exceed a certain feed rate the bit will destroy the fibres of the wood.

I hope this make sense.
Joz

KWiK
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Post by KWiK »

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help. The inlay came out good.
viking.jpg

Jozua
Vectric Wizard

Post by Jozua »

Congratulations, Beautiful job. Well done
Joz

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

KWiK wrote:Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help. The inlay came out good.
Wow, that sure did come out nice! Congrats!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice

Jozua wrote:
potzmannwoodshop wrote:. How much experience do you have about V carving in wood?
I am not trying to diminish your experience or experience But, as I said I have done more than 200 “Chip carving” projects with a variety of woods.
I make and sell about 40-50 products a week @Eastern Market in Detroit june-october and christmass, most are bottle openers in Oak or ash, 6"x6" carve area, I usually mill at 16,000rpm and 150ipm in ash, as I said before, and faster in cherry and maple. I would guess I have done about 1000 pieces a year for the past couple of years for the market. I also work with clients for production work like the tap handles im doing now, or the stands I do for Detroit Grooming, that is usually an additional 2000 pieces a year. Stuff like the below.

potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice

KWiK wrote:Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help. The inlay came out good.
It did, well done