engraving dilemma; Harley Davidson

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Mofosheee

engraving dilemma; Harley Davidson

Post by Mofosheee »

I have a motorcycle engine side cover (Harley Davidson derby cover) with an allowable engraving area of 5.75" circular. Problem is that the elevation of the engraving are descends 0.2" from the high point in the center of the cover to the outer limits of the intended engraving area. Does anybody have a work around or suggestions to approaching this job? Thank you

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: engraving dilemma; Harley Davidson

Post by gkas »

Draw a dome that matches the curve of the cover. Then project your engraving onto the 3D.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

If you use a spring loaded diamond drag tool, the spring compression may be enough to cover the change in elevation I have one with 3/8" compression. My experience with acrylic has been that the amount of compression makes very little difference in the lines. I don't know how well the aluminum cover will engrave with a diamond drag tool, however.

Best would be if you can find a scrap side cover to experiment with. Let us know what you end up with.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

cbr_speedster

Post by cbr_speedster »

If you want to send me your engraving I can model it for you..

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

You might check into G-Code Ripper http://www.scorchworks.com/Gcoderipper/gcoderipper.html

You can map the contour of the cover then engrave the image.
John
Maker of Chips

Mofosheee

Post by Mofosheee »

Thanks to all who replied. And to highpockets, you are the second person to have pointed me in this direction. I will certainly investigate.
I figured out how to do it with a competitors software then projecting the lines to the surface. But I want to do it using vectric ............ still learning this software.