Using FADE or TILT

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
DanE65
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha

Using FADE or TILT

Post by DanE65 »

New to CNC - like very new.
I have manufactured a sink cutting board but wish to have a gentle slope allowing liquids to drain off.
I have 'played' with a square and ellipse, but cannot make it slope. Is the FADE and TILT feature only for 3D models?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Using VCarve Desktop with a Piranha XL.

Stephen50
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop

Re: Using FADE or TILT

Post by Stephen50 »

Someone else may advise you differently however, I produce cutting boards with a outer perimeter groove draining into a juice catch. The process I utilize is fluting you can either use an end mill or ball nose bit 1/8 or 1/4 in bit. Depending on the bit you will create a series of vertical or horizontal lines spacing maybe a 1/16 or 1/8 inch for stepover. Switch to the cutting option right side click on fluting you'll have three options try each one in a preview mode so you are able to determine which one suits your desired results. Calculate the tool path save it then you can cut it. As previously mentioned, other ideas and suggestions maybe presented to you but this one works for me.

DanE65
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha

Post by DanE65 »

That is a great idea.
Never occurred to me.
As I said, new, very new.

potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 2 SCM Routech Record 120s(1999, 2001)

Post by potzmannwoodshop »

Stephen50 wrote: end mill or ball nose bit 1/8 or 1/4 in bit.
I use a half inch ball nose, it allows me to make one pass for all the groves and then a few passes to clean up the outside of the pocket i make on one end.
I use a 1/2" end mill for roughing in the juice pocket.

But yes fluting toolpaths, I think there is even a vectric tutorial on making a cutting board juice groove using the fluting toolpath.

Yup, here it is