3d cut question

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
madaras
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot standard gantry 4896

3d cut question

Post by madaras »

I'm attempting to cut a simple radius around the perimeter of a square block. I've been unable to get the full depth of cut. Any assist will be appreciated. Thank you.
Attachments
Base_Cap.crv
Refer to TP "B3d Finish"
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 120 times

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Re: 3d cut question

Post by Bob Reda »

what I see is the profile toolpath is cutting to 1 inch and the material thickness is 1.5in If you want to cut all the way through profile toolpath must be at 1.5 inch

Bob

madaras

Post by madaras »

Thanks, Bob. The profile cut is not the issue. It's the 3d cut. The 3d model shape height is 1.432in but the cut depth does not go the full depth. Looking at the 3d view will show where it stops. Further input welcome. Thank you.

kyeakel
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger STV4800

Post by kyeakel »

Not really an expert, but the curvature of the tip on a .5" ballnose would have to penetrate the material completely before the side of the ball would cut the 3D shape.

Kipp
CAMaster Stinger 1
Shopbot PRT 9648
STV4800
Aspire
Cut2d,Cut2dLaser

madaras

Post by madaras »

kyeakel wrote:Not really an expert, but the curvature of the tip on a .5" ballnose would have to penetrate the material completely before the side of the ball would cut the 3D shape.

Kipp
Thanks for your input and I agree. But, the issue still stands, the depth of cut is halted for some reason. As it is, the tip of the ball has a ways to go. I am curious why the cut stops where it does...?

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

Along with "cusping" due to ball nose cutter as mentioned above, your vertical shape for the 2 rail sweep has no leg to stand on. So, when you choose it for the sweep shape, the software lays it down and your sweep is only as high as the Y dimension of your sweep shape from end to end as if it was laying horizontally...joe
Attachments
Shape for 2 rail sweep.JPG

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

In your toolpath B 3D Finish 2

There is a Boundary Offset setting.

Currently it is .1

Change it to .25 -- half the diameter of the cutter.

That will allow the cutter centerline to go to the edge of the model. The .1 setting does not allow the cutter centerline to go to the boundary.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I think you need to reset the model position in the material. I only have Aspire so I'm not sure this applies to V-Carve Pro.
Steve

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

madaras,

For the toolpath "B 3D Finish 2" change the "Boundary Offset" to 1 inch (dear Vectric how difficult can it be to avoid "1 inches"?---programs I wrote 30 years ago did so).

Then in the "Toolpath List" make sure "B 3D Finish 2" is the only one with a check mark. Look at the toolpath (blue lines) in the "3D View" tab---do not preview toolpaths. Note how the toolpath interacts with that plane at the top of the model. Can you get that plane to be at the bottom of the model?

madaras

Post by madaras »

Thanks to everyone for your input.
I increased my rough material size so I have some meat to attached to the table...
I set boundary os to .25in and Z plane to the bottom. It all seems to work visually. I figure I can make my profile and pocket cuts after the 3d cut.

Question: To save 3d cut time, how best to avoid all the unnecessary passes in the center of the material and keep the tool focused on the radii cuts?
Base_Cap.crv
Updated cut file
(1.42 MiB) Downloaded 90 times

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

madaras wrote:Question: To save 3d cut time, how best to avoid all the unnecessary passes in the center of the material and keep the tool focused on the radii cuts?
In the "3D Finish 2" toolpath for "Maching Limit Boundary" rather than using "Model Boundary" use "Selected Vector(s)" and choose the two vectors that describe the outermost and innermost limits of the 3D cut.

madaras

3d cut question continued...

Post by madaras »

I have a 2-sided .stl model which top and bottom edge profiles differ. I am attempting to cut from a single block of material. I haven't grasped how to do so using my VCP8.5 3D Model tools. It seems I've gone the long way around with numerous try's. Rather than explain all the attempts that haven't worked I am curious how others would approach the task.

My material is 1.01 x 8" Sq. The model is the same thickness x 6" Sq.

Any assist will be much appreciated.
Attachments
FORUM.crv
(676 KiB) Downloaded 101 times