Cutting air?...

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ricphoto
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom A8 Pro+

Cutting air?...

Post by ricphoto »

Cutting air?...

as I continue stumbling along in my quest for the cleanest finish cut (see: fuzzy fish") I tried a new file incorporating the tips I got from my last attempt...

Changed to a higher density wood (western big leaf curly Maple) and went smaller on my finish pass bit (from 1/16th @ 8% TO 1/32'BN AT 6%)...

That seemed to help some with the major fuzzies but I noticed that it seemed to spend a lot of time just cutting air...I was afraid to stop and try to re-Z not knowing if that was even possible...seems that I read somewhere on here that someone had to re-zero his Z for each letter in a sign but he didn't elaborate beyond saying that...

Is it possible? I'm running VCP (latest) and have the Richauto controller running the Axiom AR8 Pro+...

looks an extra 1/100th or so on that last pass would have gotten me closer to my finish goal...

20180315_lilly_bloom-2-1-2.jpg
20180316_lilly_bloom-1.jpg
20180316_lilly_bloom-5-3.jpg
Thanks all...

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Cutting air?...

Post by Leo »

My observations

1) I think the broad leaf maple is a softer variety
a) HARD maple would be better
2) I would not use a quilted maple for a carving like that.
a) the wild grain patterns will be really hard to work with
b) the beauty of the quilting is lost and/or competes with the carving
3) If a 1/16 ball fits into the smallest crevasses - it would be a better choice in cutters
a) bigger the radius the better the finish.
4) Tiny stepover will give a better finish. I go crazy small - .003-.005
a) Tiny stepover with bigger radius - better finish.

It looks great as is - but I know you are looking for the ultimate.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

ricphoto
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom A8 Pro+

Post by ricphoto »

Thanks Leo...more food for thought...

On that particular model there isn't much fine detail and what is there isn't very deep...a 1/16th BN should be able to reach everywhere...

The western broadleaf maple is in fact a softer variety but harder than the Spanish Cedar and looks much nicer than the Eastern Hard Maple I have and I wanted to see if the curliness (sp?) would help or hinder...Thought the cloudy nature would enhance the carving and add some dimension/depth not detract...guess we'll see when I buff it out..

I'll give it another shot with a ridiculously small stopover on the 1/16th and see what happens...think I have a piece of (just slightly curly) cherry that would work...

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

If a 1/8 ball nose fits - that would be even better still.

Someday - you should try the hard maple - even if just to see how it works.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 2 SCM Routech Record 120s(1999, 2001)

Post by potzmannwoodshop »

Save the curly cherry and use a regular piece of cherry. You care looking for woods with "closed grain", rock maple, cherry, walnut are three of the big NA species. you are looking for strait wide grained pieces for the best results.