Bathymetric Map Making

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
seankub
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Bathymetric Map Making

Post by seankub »

I have created a map for my cottage lake with 4 different tool paths (pockets) each having a different depth. This is ok, but how can I make one tool path that does more of a smooth transition between the depths? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 7.59.54 PM.png

bigduke6
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro8

Re: Bathymetric Map Making

Post by bigduke6 »

I do 2D lake maps and was thinking of this exact issue. I have not attempted this yet but I was going to drawl a separate vector just inside the depth (pocket tool path), then use a rounded bit on that to try and ease the hard line between depths. I hope to experiment this week. On a side note I just started using luminescent epoxy.
Attachments
image3 2.jpeg
image1 3.jpeg

AJF
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSstandard 48x96
Location: Hamlet of Mt. Lorne outside of Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

Post by AJF »

seankub wrote:I have created a map for my cottage lake with 4 different tool paths (pockets) each having a different depth. This is ok, but how can I make one tool path that does more of a smooth transition between the depths? Any ideas would be appreciated.
If a bathymetric DEM file is available for that lake, then you you could use that to make 3d model of the underwater profile for the lake. That is what I've done using Aspire.

seankub

Post by seankub »

bigduke6 wrote:I do 2D lake maps and was thinking of this exact issue. I have not attempted this yet but I was going to drawl a separate vector just inside the depth (pocket tool path), then use a rounded bit on that to try and ease the hard line between depths. I hope to experiment this week. On a side note I just started using luminescent epoxy.
What are you using for the coloring of the epoxy?

lsvien
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lsvien »

You cannot make it smooth in VCP. You just don't have the tools. Yes I believe it can be done in Aspire but I don't have a copy so have never tried it. I have done probably 50 bathymetric lake maps like your method. I want to be able to make them smooth also but have concluded that it will have to be done in another software package. There are a number of Geographic Information System (GIS) software that can take contour data and turn it into a digital elevation model, that is one type of 3d model. Once you have the 3D model most will allow you to export to some type of 3D file like an STL. STL files can be imported into VCP and from there you create your toolpaths.
Mother Nature always bats last!

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

seankub wrote:I have created a map for my cottage lake with 4 different tool paths (pockets) each having a different depth. This is ok, but how can I make one tool path that does more of a smooth transition between the depths? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Is that a single model (or can you get one)? If so, VCP 8.x and above does have a smoothing function you can access via the Modeling Tab. You might try that to "ease" the sharp elevation transitions a little (or a lot - you have to experiment and observe the model details to know when to stop applying multiple/baked smooths).

If it's just a series of pockets, then you'll need Aspire to create a model from the toolpath preview, then apply smoothing or manual sculpting to the resulting model.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC