An Easier Way to select a different start point

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
SN Charlie
Model of CNC Machine: Axyz 5010

An Easier Way to select a different start point

Post by SN Charlie »

I have found that the start point when cutting shapes defaults to a corner almost every time. This is, in my opinion, a very frustrating thing because when cutting through material I have found time and time again that when finishing the shape - when it reaches the corner - it sometimes moves the shape and cuts into it in that corner. This isn't a problem when the table suction is phenomenal but suction is drastically decreased when cutting multiple shapes out of the same piece of material.

Using the Node editing tool, you are able to change the start point but that has it's own issues. First off, you have to declare in your toolpath to use vector startpoints (don't optimize). Then you have to go into node editing and manually select where you want to start with each shape. I personally put it midway through a relatively straight line so when cutting, I eliminate the almost inevitable outcome of cutting through the shape in the corner. Now, the machine will only use those start points after recalculating.

This is pretty time consuming for selecting start points and I admit that being able to select a different start point is awesome but the software creators have failed to recognize that starting in a corner is causing problems for the shapes that I'm creating. I wonder if anyone else has this issue where it cuts into the corner of the shape?? Also, the amount of clicks that you have to do to change the start point seems excessive.

To get to the question, Is there an easier, more efficient way of selecting different start points? Can you tell the software to find a straight line and automatically put the start point at the midsection and then do that for all future jobs?

I'm using a AXYZ 5010 ATC router and a becker 10 HP pump

I'm curious to see what others think.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: An Easier Way to select a different start point

Post by Adrian »

You can specify the starting point as a position on the vector bounding box by using the Start At tab as shown. You can set your preferred position and save the toolpath as a template to apply for future jobs.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

but the software creators have failed to recognize that starting in a corner is causing problems for the shapes that I'm creating.
The start point is the point where you start drawing a vector, which will almost always be in a corner. To arbitrarily choose a start point would likely be worse.
Also, the amount of clicks that you have to do to change the start point seems excessive.

To get to the question, Is there an easier, more efficient way of selecting different start points?
hold your cursor over the vector where you want to create a start point, and click the "i" key, then the "p" key. This will insert a point, and make it the start point. If you do this when you draw the vectors, you won't have a large job changing them all at the end of the project.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

SN Charlie

Post by SN Charlie »

Adrian wrote:You can specify the starting point as a position on the vector bounding box by using the Start At tab as shown. You can set your preferred position and save the toolpath as a template to apply for future jobs.
There is no Start At tab. I'm using 8.5 pro. Is this in the newer version?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Can't remember which version it came out in but I'm pretty sure it's in 8.5. It's only on the profile toolpath and make sure you have Show Advanced... checked at the top of the toolpath dialog.

SN Charlie

Post by SN Charlie »

Adrian, This is what I see:
Attachments
Untitled.jpg

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

I confirm that there is no "start at" tab in V8.5
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Thanks. It's hard to keep track of versions as I lose a few more brain cells each year.

Good reason to upgrade I'd say. :)

SN Charlie

Post by SN Charlie »

So that tab is in the newest version of Vcarve?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Yes.

potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 2 SCM Routech Record 120s(1999, 2001)

Post by potzmannwoodshop »

I also have a Beker 10hp oilless rotory vane pump, I usually onion skin if I have many little parts, usually 0.5mm works and requires just a skuff sand around the edge of the part with 120grit on a hand pad.

Bmr1
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Arty

Post by Bmr1 »

V Carve Pro is up to version 9.xxx. I believe to upgrade to it from 8.5 is $175.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Post by CarveOne »

I have Vcarve Pro version 6.504 on one of my CNC machines. Even with this old version, you can create any shape vector, then place the point of the cursor anywhere on the vector, hit "N" to enter Node Edit mode, "I" to insert a node, then "P" to change the node to the start point. It only takes a few seconds for each vector that needs to have a specific start point.

Just "NIP" it in the vector as it were ... :)

CarveOne
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

That's what the OP was doing already though. He was looking for an "easier" way to do it.

SN Charlie

Post by SN Charlie »

I mean the Node Edit mode is pretty easy, its just time consuming when you have 30-40 pieces on a sheet and you have to manually do that to all shapes. "The start point is the point where you start drawing a vector, which will almost always be in a corner. To arbitrarily choose a start point would likely be worse." If the software was able to make an exception though for closed shapes and determined the midpoint for a straight line (or the closest curve to a straight line) and made that the start point, I don't see how that couldn't fix that issue.