Preshaped project

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
rgerding
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Iconic 2015

Preshaped project

Post by rgerding »

Sometimes I carve on a piece of wood that already has a shape. Is there a way to show the shape on the 3D view so that I can see what the carving will look like in total? I've attached a screenshot to hopefully show what I'm trying to accomplish.
I really appreciate this forum as a way to further my knowledge about the VCarve Desktop.
Attachments
G.PNG
Ron
If sawdust were gold, I'd be very rich

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Re: Preshaped project

Post by MarkJohnston »

Just use the vector that you have shown in the 2D view and do a profile cutout on it then delete the scrap piece. You can also do a profile on using a vbit on the inter vector of the edge. Just profile down a small amount like .05 so you can see the shape. I often use a color like black on the toolpath so it shows up better. Lots of things you can do to show it on the 3D view.

Mark

WaltS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 2418 - Spindle - ScottP Spoilbrd

Post by WaltS »

Not sure about 3D view, but if you take a picture of the piece of wood and import it into your file you can use the bitmap layer of the piece along with your design layers to get a really good idea of what things will look like and how they will line up. It's also a good way of arranging things around knots, grain patterns, etc.
Attachments
fishin.JPG

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Depends on the look you are after, you can use the actual object/material by taking a picture as Walt says or you can just create some vectors to give the outline shape, for this job I am doing at the moment I only needed to create the outline shape so I could machine in the correct area, this isn't finished yet as there is some more to be machined but will give you an idea.
unique1.jpg

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

NICE slab Martin!
(My first thought was that was SCREAMING for a guitar shaped "Butterfly Wedge" to hold that crack from spreading...In that particular instance I'd definitely go Walt's way with a pic so I could harmonize with the grain patterns:)
NICE!! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Scott, customer supplied that slab as is. It already has a resin coating which fills most of that split. Been a bit of a pain because I was able to skim the back to make it flat but didn't want to touch the front with it having the resin coat. Think it is polly resin. Even after skimming the back it is no where near parallel so a lot of those letters had to be cut individually with me re zeroing the Z for each of them :lol: :lol:

Customer actually said that the resin coat was Glass Cast but he has been misinformed about that I believe, glasscast is self levelling & at the thickness this coating is would have all run into that split or off the edge of the slab :lol: :lol:

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

What a PITA it is working with totally uneven surfaces with font...time consuming carving individual letters!!!
Wonderful job Martin!! :D
HATE not having a job from start to finish when it's a one of!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.