TRIM tool. Circle is trimmed but with curve?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Ton80
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3XXL / Carvewright RevB

TRIM tool. Circle is trimmed but with curve?

Post by Ton80 »

I have been having an issue with a particular design. This is an example file which shows what is happening.

The circle vectors are hanging off the edge of my board ( the board represents the a door in this case ). I placed a rectangle off the board and used that for the trim boundary. I want to trim the parts of the circle that are hanging off the board so I select "CLEAR INSIDE BOUNDARY". The inner circle trims perfectly right along the edge of the board but the outer circle trims oddly. If becomes a very narrow. It doesn't seem to make a difference if I select the circles together or in any particular order.. the outer circle just doesn't work with the TRIM tool..

Ideas?
Attachments
Circle-Square-Trim test.crv
The test file
(19 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Here is my starting file
Here is my starting file
the inner circle trimmed properly
the inner circle trimmed properly
the outer circle.  a sliver/eclipse is all that is left
the outer circle. a sliver/eclipse is all that is left

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: TRIM tool. Circle is trimmed but with curve?

Post by Adrian »

Don't know why it's doing that but I wouldn't trim it like that to start with. I would select the two circles, then the rectangle and click the Subtract tool.

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ton80 »

Thank you Adrian. I was so hung up on using the tool that I thought I was supposed to use and never tried to use anything else. That TRIM tool has worked for me on everything that I have used it on so far, except this circle deal. I will send it to Vectric and see what they say about it.

John

Ton80
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ton80 »

The odd part of this problem is this. I created a main design file with a logo. 3 circles are involved. On that design file the logo is fully placed within my job dimensions. When I place a rectangle over half of that design and select the TRIM tool the trim performed is exactly as expected. When I copy those vectors over to a new file which is where I scale the design up and place it so half the design hangs off the edge of my job dimensions, things get more interesting. The TRIM tool on the LEFT door file treats 2 of the 3 circles as expected, only causing that distortion on one circle. On the RIGHT door file, all 3 of those circles are distorted after the TRIM tool is used.

Between these 3 files the vectors are all exactly the same as they are originating on the design file and then copied, pasted and scaled up on the left file and again copied/pasted onto the right file and just moved to the proper location. I did compose an email and attached all 3 files for Vectric to look at. If it was a case of the same circle becoming distorted on the left and right door files it would make sense that maybe the tool just can't be used the way I wanted to use it. However, the results are completely different between the two files and that doesn't seem like the software is behaving properly for this particular case.

In any case, it seems that the SUBTRACT tool is working so I can continue on with my work so once again, thank you for the suggestion.

John